Chapter Forty One

My mother came over rubbing my back. It was late and it had been several hours. She sat down quietly. Anna and Sammy were asleep. Sort of. Everyone was really to rallied up to actually fall asleep.

"Can't sleep?", she asked quietly.

I shook my head, "No", I replied in a whisper tears brimming my eyes and I sniffed.

My mother wrapped her arms around me, "Oh sweetie", she soothed holding me. She was my mother. It was her job. I felt like a complete baby. A baby in her mother's arms. The safest place to be. I cried.

"He was in so much pain! He.....he wouldn't have gotten hurt if I had just done something!", I sobbed.

"Sweetie you he did what he thought was right and was very brave about it. He risked his life for you....he would do it again. It's just how stubborn men are", said my mother.

"He shouldn't have! He shouldn't.....-He got himself hurt because of me!", I cried.

My mother was stern but held me shaking her head, "No, no, he wasn't hurt because of you.....he was hurt because of the ones who attacked us. A man has a right to defend what is his.....it's everyone's right Lisa. He didn't get hurt because of you.....shh.....shh.....there, there, it's going to be alright. Everything is going to be alright", whispered my mother kissing my head.

Just over and over, "It's going to be alright sweetie, it's going to be alright", she repeated quietly holding me securely as I cried.

I was scared.....and so was she.