Chapter Twenty-Three

I noticed the mark on my neck the next morning. It was actually hardly noticeable.

The mark looked like three dots, as big as a grain of rice, gray with a line connecting them. No one would notice it.

Wolvric came up behind me and kissed my cheek, playing with the ends of my hair.

"Admiring my mark?" He asked.

"What does the triangle and three dots mean?"

"The dots mean the most important stages of life. Birth, love, and death," He explained. "The line connects them."

I turned toward him and kissed his lips, which were red from the night before.

"So I'm...permanently yours?"

"Well, technically yes. But only if you want to be. You agreed to my mark so you care for me just as much as I care for you," Wolvric said, blushing a bit. "That's why I asked permission to mark you."

"Oh. So that also means...I'm your mate?"

"Mm hm." Wolvric smiled and kissed me softly and passionately.

"I love that idea," I said, kissing him more. I then pulled away and whispered, "I've got work."

"Aww..." Wolvric whined. "Staaaaay."

"Stop whining you big baby," I said, tugging his hair. He grunted a bit before kissing me again.

"You're luring again," I accused.

"No-" he kissed me, "-I'm-" and again, "-not."

"Liar," I mumbled.

"Whatever you say. Let's get you to work."

I didn't see Ian the entire day, which was a good thing. But what if he told his dad about my mark? Then what would happen?

"Red!"

"Huh? What?" I snapped out of my trance to look at Valerie.

"Did you hear what I said?"

"Um...no."

"Ugh! Tomorrow we're going to get fitted for our dresses," She groaned, obviously irritated.

"Dresses for what?" I asked.

"Your wedding! In four weeks!"

"Oh, but I'm not getting married," I said coolly. "It was never made official so I'm not marrying Ian."

"You're giving up Ian? The leader's son?!" She argued.

"Yeah," I replied.

"That's brave," She muttered.

I rolled my eyes and continued working.
Work seemed to drag on forever. I never thought it'd end.

Then close up early.

A voice rang in my head. It sounded familiar?

"Wolvric?" I said quietly.

Just a little thing we can do once mated. I can listen to your thoughts and talk through your mind.

Really?

You just did, right?

I guess.

I smiled to myself. Now I can talk to him without him being here.

So, any thing interesting?

Nah, normal, slow day. I thought.

Seems legitimate. I heard a soft chuckle.

Yeah.

So, baby, I was thinking, want to sneak into my village tonight?

What?! But we could get caught!

Then we'll just stay at my house. No one will know. Plus, my house is at the edge of the woods so we could slip out easily.

I don't know...

C'mon...I'll protect you love.

I smiled as he called me 'love'.

Ok then. But if we get caught, you kidnapped me.

He laughed. Okie dokie Red.

Wolvric's cottage was simple and ordinary. Grays, blacks, and whites lined the walls, furnisher, and items. It felt like I was in an uncolored painting.

"What?" Wolvric asked, running his fingers through my hair from behind.

"Its so...plain," I confessed.

"And...?"

"There's no color."

"I'm not a colorful person." He kissed my ear. "But let's cut the small talk."

Wolvric grabbed my waist and twirled me around, kissing my lips.

"So straightforward," I joked.

"I'm a straightforward person," He said, pinning me against the white walls of his bedroom.

"So I see."

He grunted and kissed me again. His hands roamed down to my legs and wrapped them around his waist.

"Wolvric..."

"Red..." He said before kissing my lips. I felt him nip at my bottom lip.

Wolvric came back up and kissed my lips and I ran my fingers through his thick hair.

Suddenly, Wolvric's head shot up, his eyes dilated.

"Wolfy? Something wrong?" I asked, removing my legs from his waist.

"Someone's coming," He said. As soon as he said that, his door swung open.

"Wolvric? Are you home dear?"

"Alexandra," He huffed. "Stay hidden my dear."

He kissed my cheek before disappearing out of the room.

I looked around for a hiding spot hurriedly. I knew something bad was gonna happen...