Chapter 2

After hours of questioning, the police cleared out and, almost instantaneously, Amber and I collapsed on my couch. Already overwhelmed by this afternoon's events, we left puzzled as to how we'd get my house clean in time for the party tomorrow.

"Maybe you should call the cleaning company that you hired for after the party and see if they wouldn't mind coming before." Amber suggested, her voice still a little shaky from the shock of seeing my home ripped to shreds. She had been so frightened during the aftermath with the police that I never mentioned that someone had tried to kidnap me. Worry nagged at the pit of my stomach, but I pushed it aside and nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll call them right away." I concluded getting up to grab my cell phone.

"Hey, Hailey... have you called Blaze about this yet?" Amber asked, braiding the front of her hair, trying to look casual.

"No, not yet." I muttered dialing the cleaning company's number.

"Is there a reason for that?" Amber continued.

"No, should there be? Oh, hello..." I began as I talked to one of the ladies from the cleaning company. I didn't have a problem acquiring their services for the following morning once I raised my offer for their time. I guess everyone has their price.

"I think you should call Blaze." Amber stated, the instant I hung up.

"I don't think that this is any of his business." I said plopping down on the couch next to her.

"He'd want to know, Hailey." She retorted, giving me her classic Amber glare.

"It's not that big of a deal. My house was broken into and trashed, so what? The cops said that's been happening to homes in the neighborhood for months. It was probably some dumb kids trying to have some fun. I'm okay, you're okay, and everything is fine."

"Yeah but..." Amber began.

"No buts. I'll tell Blaze when I feel like it, okay?"

"Fine." She conceded, crossing her arms. "Let's get some sleep. We have a kickass party to put together tomorrow and these pranksters just added like five hours of pre-cleaning to our to-do list."

Too scared to sleep in my bedroom, we hunkered down in my old game-room. As I laid down on the couch, wrapping myself in a flannel blanket, I couldn't help but believe that it wasn't just a couple of pranksters who had trashed my house for sport. Goosebumps covered my body as I had the oddest feeling that the man who had come after me today would be back. I only wished that I knew what this was for.

.........................................................................................................................................

I'm not exactly sure how it happened but in the next 12 hours, my home was restored and everything for the party was set up. The DJ was currently setting up downstairs and Amber and I were getting ready for the party in my freshly painted bedroom.

"Maybe I shouldn't have asked you for this dress. I look like a cheap hooker." I sighed, staring at myself in the mirror. The black dress was one-shouldered and practically backless. The dress ended just below my butt and I was positive that if I bent over, everyone would get an eye-full.

"Are you kidding me? You look absolutely stunning! No one will be able to compete. Plus, Blaze will be speechless." She smirked, while applying her mascara.

"Can we go five minutes without talking about Blaze, please?" I pleaded zipping up my thigh-high boots, hoping to hide some skin.

"We could try, but you know it won't last. Just like this break you're on. I bet that by the end of this party you'll be back together."