Chapter 6

"You took me to Wal-Mart?" I stated incredulously, refusing to get out of the car.

"Come on, Hailey, I can't afford to take you to Nordstrom. Either get out of the car or we're going back to the house." James responded, making me choose between Blaze and the super store. It wasn't that I had anything against Wal-Mart, it was just... I had never walked inside of one. I stepped in front of James who had insisted on holding my hand to make sure I couldn't escape.

"For the record, I don't shop at Nordstrom." I clarified.

"Whatever you say, Princess." James laughed tugging my hand and leading me into the store.

~~~~~~~~An hour later~~~~~~~~

"Come on Hailey! It doesn't take this long to pick out clothes. You're in Wal-Mart, not Abercrombie." James said impatiently.

"I don't shop there either!" I yelled from the dressing room.

"Hailey!" James said making it clear that I was taking too long.

"Yes?" I replied sweetly as I opened the door, revealing myself in my new underwear. I may have to start shopping at Wal-Mart more often because this matching lacy red bra and panty set is really cute.

"Um..." James said apparently forgetting whatever he was going to say.

"You're too easy James, now I'm almost finished, so just relax." I said laughing as I closed the door to the dressing room.

~~~~~~~~~ Twenty Minutes Later ~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm all done!" I cheered happily, at an annoyed looking James.

"Great, let's go." James said grabbing my hand and dragging me towards the check-out lines before I could look at anything else. As we made our way to the front of the line, I saw something completely unexpected.

"Amber?" I asked confused.

"Hailey? What are you doing here?" She asked looking down, clearly ashamed that I had caught her working.

"Shopping." I said confused, "I didn't know you worked here."

"Yeah, I've been here a few months." She replied slowly as she started checking out my items. I just nodded in response, not knowing what to say.

"Your total is $147.89." Amber said quietly. James pulled out a credit card and paid for me, but I didn't notice. I was in total disbelief. Not only did I not know who Blaze was anymore, I didn't even know who my best friend was.

"Bye Amber." I said quietly as James pulled me away. When we reached the car, he pulled me in front of him and cupped my face in his hands.

"What's wrong Hailey?" James asked, as I let a single tear fall down my cheek.

"How was I able to shut everyone out of my life so much that I can't even recognize them anymore? Amber was my best friend James and she never told me she worked at Wal-Mart, heck I didn't even know she'd ever been inside of a Wal-Mart." I pulled away and sat inside the car as James filled the car with my bags. Before I knew it we were parked outside of the house. I started to get out to help James with my bags but he just slightly pushed me out of the way so I walked into the house, into his bedroom and laid down, facing the ceiling.

"I'm sorry." I heard James say as he finished placing the bags into his room.

"It's not your fault." I said in a monotone voice.

"I liked the clothes you picked out." James said trying to cheer me up.

"Yeah?"

"Yes."