Chapter 12

My eyes blinked open slowly. Confused, I began to sit up and take in my surroundings. I recognized the red walls, the white drapes. I recognized the black dresser and night stand with a vase of dead roses on it but it didn’t seem real. My mind refused to believe that I was in my room. I was in my room in my house. Safe. The idea seemed unfathomable.

            I fisted the sheets on my bed, wanting to hold onto the idea that I was actually safe. I closed my eyes and opened them again, afraid that I was dreaming. After a few minutes I began to trust my surroundings. Slowly, I walked over to my dresser where the vase of dead roses stood. I gently stroked one of the dead pedals with my finger. It seemed as if Blaze had given me these roses in another lifetime. For all intents and purposes, it had been another lifetime. I didn’t know the guy who had been my partner in crime. I didn’t know the guy who had helped me get over my parents’ deaths. I certainly didn’t know the guy who had aided in my kidnapping and then aided in my release last night.

            I grabbed the vase of flowers and walked downstairs towards the kitchen. I opened the pantry and threw the entire vase into the trash can. I felt my stomach growl uncomfortably. I couldn’t remember the last time I had eaten. Trudging to the refrigerator and jerked the door open. I sighed when I realized that it was empty. I guess after being absent for almost two months the maids decided to stop buying groceries. Annoyed, I quickly walked back to my room to take a shower and get dressed so that I could get something to eat.

            Under the hot steam of the shower, I was finally able to clear my head. Thoughts of my kidnapping and heartache from Blaze’s betrayal seemed to fade away. If only my bruises would fade away as quickly, I mused. I dressed quickly, trying to cover the bruises as quickly as possible. I peered into the mirror, starring at my reflections when suddenly I saw Viktor’s cruel blue eyes in my mind and I screamed. Fully dressed, I jumped back into my bed and hid under the covers.

            For several minutes, possibly hours, I cried and screamed. I cursed everything around me and curled myself into a tiny ball, trying to hide from my memories.

            As my terror receded I began to formulate a plan to ensure that Viktor never came after me again; to ensure that no one came after me again. First step, change the locks. Second step, install a ridiculously excessive security system. Third step, perform background checks on all the employees that worked for me… maybe I could afford to fire a few and lessen the chances of anyone betraying me. Forth step, trust no one but myself.

            It seemed like a solid plan, until my I heard the shrill sound of my door bell, breaking me from my thoughts. I tiptoed down the stairs and peered through the window to see James waiting outside my front door. My mind told me to ignore him but my hand reached out to open the door on its own accord.

            “Hey.” He said quietly, his gaze scrutinizing me.

            “Hey.” I replied, my voice barely above a whisper.

            “How are you doing?” He asked. I opened my mouth to reply, but I couldn’t find the words to express how I was feeling. There weren’t enough words to express the utter violations and betray I had felt that had left me so incredibly hopeless that I had been prepared to marry someone so abominable as Viktor and the confusion I felt now that I was free. I turned away from the door and walked into my living room, knowing that he would follow. I collapsed onto the couch and let my head fall into my hands.

            “I’ve had better days.” I mumbled quietly as I felt the couch shift beside me, alerting me of his presence.

            “You’ll have better days again.” James replied.

            “How? How can I? Look at me! I can’t do this. I can’t just pull myself together, go back to high school in a few weeks and pretend like nothing happened. I can barely even stand up. I just can’t do this James.” I cried, burrowing my face deeper into my hands, wanting desperately to hide again.

            “Give me your hand.” James suddenly asked, as he moved to stand in front of where I sat.

            “What?” I asked, startled.

            “Give me your hand.” He stated again, reaching out his hand in front of me. Hesitantly, I lifted my head and placed one of my hands in his.

            “Good, now the other one.” He said softly, encouragingly. Slowly, I lifted my other hand into his free one. Gently, he tugged on my hands, pulling me upward so that I was standing. “See you can do this.” He smiled.

            “Do what?” I asked, a small smile tugging at the corner of my lips as I met his happy expression.

            “You can stand up. You just needed some help.” He shrugged, as understanding dawned on me.

            “Will you help me?” I asked.

            “Princess, I promise here and now to always be around to help you with whatever you need. I may not have all the answers and I may not always know what to do, but this I do know, I love you Hailey Richards and I will stand by your side until you return to your smug, confident self and after. I will help you as much as I can for as long as I can and I will love you through it all.”

            “Is that a yes? I think I missed it somewhere between the snarky princess comment and calling me smug. I mean really, you’re trying to make a girl feel better and all you do is insult…” I joked, finally smiling as he cut me off.

            “I think you’re going to be just fine.” James laughed before gently tugging on my hands and pulling me close enough to place a gentle kiss on my lips.