Chapter 4 - A Rude Awakening (Part 2)

His thoughts were interrupted by the stranger's voice. "By the way, my name's Rei of the Izenth. We've been living in the Lost Valley for decades." He pointed towards the sprawling valley which lay next to them in the same manner as a proud homeowner showing off his prime property. "While other Exiles choose to live in the open, we have been hidden from harm in the safety of the valley. No Noble has intruded on our land for generations; well, not until last night." There was a hint of despair in his voice; he seemed to be deeply troubled by the intrusion of Nobles onto his homeland.

Rei took a quick look around to make sure no one had seen them, then whispered to Amadeus, "Come, we must hide in the shadows, it is not safe out here." He then silently and skillfully glided into the shadows. Amadeus, who did not want to be left behind, ran quickly (and rather clumsily) behind Rei towards the shade of the trees which covered the entrance of the Lost Valley.

Once Amadeus entered the Lost Valley, it was as though he was transported into another dimension. The surroundings changed immediately. From the open plains of white snow he had just passed, Amadeus was instead greeted with green grassy ground which was covered with shadows that danced in harmony with the wind. The shadows were cast as streams of sunlight peeked through the thick tree leaves which swayed under the wind, causing the entire ground to appear as though it had come alive. The trees, which were unlike any that Amadeus had come across before, stretched across the entire breadth and width of the valley.

Snow periodically trickled down the branches of the trees, and littered the grass on the floor with heaps of white. Instead of the piercing cold, the valley appeared to be insulated by the thick trees, and Amadeus no longer shivered under the shreds that remained of his tunic. The atmosphere was cool but comfortable, and Amadeus rushed to the nearest glimpse of sunlight that could be seen penetrating through the thick trees.

He knelt there and rubbed his hands under the sunlight's warmth, cherishing the moment. Amadeus felt as though he had stepped into an enchanted forest, much like those in the stories Madam Marcella used to tell him when he was a little boy. Animal sounds echoed through the trees, sounds which were entirely foreign to Amadeus' inexperienced ears.

I'm here! I can't believe it; I actually made it to the Lost Valley! I think this is definitely up there on the list of my most impressive achievements, along with shirking my daily chores and escaping from bullies.

Amadeus would never have imagined that he would be standing at the entrance of the Lost Valley, breathing in the damp forest air. This was the furthest he had ever ventured from the commoner camp of White Harrow. When he first stepped foot out of the camp's boundary, he had initially doubted that he would make it this far, or even manage to survive the night.

Amadeus took a moment to catch his breath. He was quite out of shape and lacked basic stamina. He was starting to regret all those times he avoided manual labour; it would have at least gotten him in shape for this journey. Sadly, it was too late for regrets. He was less than prepared for a long and tiring journey such as this. Compared to the lazy mornings in White Harrow, this was indeed all too much excitement for the beginning of his day! He was in the Lost Valley with an Exile, whom he had only ever heard of in stories.

I can't let the excitement get to me. I don't have time to explore or chat with the Exiles. Lives are depending on me. I need to make my way to the Jagged Peaks before the three days expire. Concentrate! Amadeus reminded himself as he followed closely behind Rei.

Once they were safely hidden in the shadows of the trees, Rei slowed down to a walking pace. As he navigated without hesitation through what appeared to be a hidden path beneath the dense underbrush, he started to talk about his people.