Chapter 3

-Nia-

The next day, I dreaded having to go to Mr. Neverson's class. I was still in complete shock over the fact that we had kissed, not to mention he had called me saying that we needed to forget about it. I sat down without looking in the direction of his desk and began picking at my fingernails, something I only did when I was nervous.

"Hey."

I looked up and saw Ronnie sitting in the seat beside me. "Oh. Hi Ronnie," I mumbled.

"So it's like that?" he asked.

"It's always been like that and you know it," I said. Ronnie had to be one of the most annoying people I had ever encountered. Yeah he was grogeous and all (picture on the side) but he was so immature. I couldn't understand why he was one of the most popular guys in my grade. He was the class clown, which was probably why everyone liked him, and flirted with pretty much anything in a skirt. It was confusing to me, but I didn't even care enough to spend my time thinking about it.

"Don't be like that," he said while moving his desk closer to mine.

"Is there something I can help you with?" I snapped.

"When you gonna let me take you out?" he asked.

"Never," I replied dryly.

"Awww c'mon Nia. You know I've been trying to get you to go on a date with me for the longest. Why won't you just say yes?"

It was true, Ronnie had been asking me out since the middle of sophomore year. We were at the beginning of our junior year and I was still turning him down. I couldn't understand why he wouldn't take no for an answer.

"Just one date. If you don't have a good time, I'll never bother you again. Plus, I promise I won't try anything," he said.

I looked at him for a long time, trying to think of an exucse. When I couldn't come with one, I sighed and said, "Fine. One date, but don't think you're getting another one even if I do enjoy myself."

"Whatever you say baby girl," he said with a wink. For some reason, I found myself blushing as he took my phone and saved his number, making sure to call himself so he had mine. "Okay Romeo, outta my seat." Akyla was standing over Ronnie with her arms crossed. He grinned and winked at me one more time before going to his actual seat.

"So you're going on a date with Ronnie huh?" she asked as she sat down. I bit my lip, trying to hide my smile. "Yeah, I guess so."

"Alright class, take out your homework from last night. We're going to go over the answers." Mr. Neverson said. We made eye contact for half a second before we both looked away. He cleared his throat uncomfortably and began going over the homework.

---

"Mr. Neverson can get it. Any time, any place," Akyla said. We were at lunch the next day when Mr. Neverson walked by, on his way to the teacher's lounge. "I guess," I mumbled.

"Oh come on, there's no way you can sit here and tell me that you wouldn't fuck him if you had the chance. He's one sexy ass man. God took his time while making him. If I ever meet his parents, I'll be sure to thank them for creating such a beautiful being."

"He's not THAT cute Akyla," I said.

"Are you BLIND?!" she cried.

I shrugged and continued picking at my salad. A few minutes later, Ronnie and his best friend, Langston, came over to our table. "What's up beautiful?" Ronnie asked while plopping down in the empty seat next to me. I smiled, feeling the heat slowly rise into my cheeks as he pulled my chair closer to his. "Hey."

"So about our date--" he started.

"Are you cancelling?" I asked.

"Of course not. But I do think we should figure out what we're doing, don't you?"

I nodded and he continued. "So you know the carnival's coming to town this weekend. Wanna go?" he asked. "Sure," I answered quickly. He smirked and put his arm around me. "Good. Saturday, I'll be there at 7." I pushed his arm away. "Like I said, don't expect a second date. I still don't like you," I said. He just chuckled and leaned back in his seat.

"So..." Langston, who was sitting next to Akyla, started.

"Are you asking me to come to the carnival with you?" she asked.

"Yeah."

"Pick me up at 7. We'll meet Nia and Ronnie there," she said.

"That's wassup," Langston said. He was trying to play it cool and Akyla was trying to not to smile, but we all knew they were feeling each other.

Ronnie and I just looked at each other and laughed. I noticed that he managed to put his arm back around me, but this time I didn't push him away.

Mr. Neverson walked by again, making eye contact with me as he passed. I quickly looked away, thinking about our kiss. His soft lips, my hands on his strong chest, his hands around my waist, how he bit my lip when we pulled away. Then I thought about what Akyla had said. Would I be with Mr. Neverson if I had the chance?