Chapter 4

-Nia-

Saturday couldn't have come any slower. For some reason I was anticipating my date with Ronnie, which made time move slowly. But no day was as slow as Saturday itself. No matter how quickly I was moving, time just didn't seem to move at all. Five minutes felt like an hour. I couldn't wait till 7:00.

I decided to start getting ready when it was 5:00, unable to sit around any longer. It was weird, but I took extra care getting ready, taking an even longer shower than my usual 25 minute one and washing my hair twice with my best shampoo and conditioner. I stood in my closet for half an hour, trying to figure out what to wear. We were going to a carnival, so I decided on what I considered simple: My black crop top with the pink marijuana leaves all over it, a pair of denim high-waisted shorts, and my black TOMS. I did simple eyeshadow, using dark colors, painted my nails pink, pinned the top half of my hair back, threw in some pearl studs, and put in my marijuana leaf belly ring to match my shirt.

By the time I was finished, it was 6:45. Only fifteen more minutes before Ronnie showed up. My mom was in the kitchen making dinner for her, my dad, and my sister Michele. "Where's everyone else?" I asked, taking a seat at the counter. "Michele went somewhere with Julian and dad had to run to the office to pick up some papers he forgot. Stand up so I can see your outfit," my mom said. I slid out of my chair, allowing her to scrutinize my outfit.

"Cute. Don't you think the weed leaves are a bit much though?" she asked. I shrugged and grabbed a handful of chips from the bowl on the table. "Well you better hope that this boy gets here before daddy does. Otherwise, you won't be leaving the house until you change," she said.

The doorbell rang at 6:55 and I practically ran to answer it. Ronnie was standing there with flowers in his hand. "Hi," I said. He just stared at me without saying anything. "H-hey," he finally stammered. I giggled as he stuck the flowers out toward me. "I-I got you these. Wow, you look...wow," he said. "Thanks." I giggled again. He followed me into the kitchen where my mom was waiting. "Mom, this is Ronnie. Ronnie, my mom."

"Nice to meet you," he said while holding out his hand for her to shake. "Likewise." My mom took his hand and smiled.  "I see where you get your looks from," Ronnie said to me. I watched as my mom moved behind him and mouthed, "I like him. He's cute." I bit down on my lip, trying not to laugh. "So..you ready?" he asked. "Yup." I nodded.

He turned to my mom. "I'll have her back by midnight, not a minute later. I promise."

"I'll give you until 12:05," she chuckled.

We said goodbye and I followed Ronnie out to his car.

---

The car ride was extremely awkward. I mean, what do you say to the guy you found annoying up until a few days ago? I was relieved when we arrived at the carnival and the seemingly never-ending car ride was over.

We walked side by side, looking around at the different booths and rides that the carnival had to offer. We had yet to exchange two words with each other. Luckily, Akyla and Langston found their way over to us after a few minutes. "We were gonna get on the roller coaster. You coming?" Akyla asked. Ronnie looked at me and I nodded before following behind Akyla and Langston.

"This is so awkward," I mumbled while sliding next to Akyla.

"How so?" she asked.

"We're not saying anything to each other!" I said.

"That's a problem," she agreed.

"So what do I do?"

"I don't know. Langston and I are holding conversations," she said.