Chapter 10

-Nia-

Trey never called me back, a sure sign that he was upset with me. On Monday, I could hardly focus in any of my morning classes. I stared at the clock in each class, the minutes until lunch dragging on for an eternity. It was as if the clock was taunting me, purposely moving slow to keep me on the edge of my seat. When the lunch bell finally rang, I shot out of my seat and had to force myself not to run to Trey's room. He was sitting at his desk, head bent over a textbook.

"Mr. Neverson?" I knocked lightly on the door.

He looked up at me and my heart began racing. "Hey Nia, what can i help you with?" His eyes were looking past me and I turned slightly just as a teacher walked by. "Uh...I had some questions about the homework," I said. "Come take a seat," he said. I walked into the room and pulled a chair up to his desk before pulling out my notebook.

"Did you get my message?" I asked in a low voice. He nodded without looking at me. "You never called me back," I pointed out.

"I was busy," he said nonchalantly.

"Too busy to call me back?"

"I figured you were too busy with Ronnie."

"I told you my mom wasn't letting me leave the house," I said.

"Bullshit Nia! If you're gonna lie to me, don't post pictures on Instagram." The anger in his voice was becoming more evident with every word.

I was at a loss for words, so I just stared at him. "Do you even have an Instgram?" I finally asked. "I do actually. I don't follow you, but that doesn't mean I don't keep tabs on you." His tone had gotten softer and he finally looked me in the eye. I gnawed at my bottom lip, feeling guilty all of a sudden. "I'm sorry," I said. When he didn't say anything, I slid my hand across the desk until it was touching his. "Trey--"

"It's fine," he said.

"No, I shouldn't have lied." I started to say something else, but decided against it. Apologizing and moving on was better than starting another argument. "Let me make it up to you. What are you doing tonight?" I asked. "Grading a bunch of tests," he said, making a face at the pile of tests sitting on his desk.

"Hmm...well, can I make it up to you this weekend?"

"I have a meeting after school on Friday, but what did you have in mind?" he asked. "It's a surprise. Just don't make any plans and bring me your spare key tomorrow," I said. "Nia..." Trey started. "Babe, trust me. I gotta go, I'll see you next period. You better bring that key tomorrow too." As I stood up to leave, Trey just shook his head and sighed. I giggled and blew him a quick kiss before making my way to the cafeteria. When this weekend was over, Trey would forget all about the incident with Ronnie.

---

*Friday*

-Trey-

I pulled my key from my pocket and stuck it in the doorknob. It had been an exhausting week and I was ready to spend my weekend relaxing. When I pushed the door open, I was greeted by the smell of food cooking. Nia was in the kitchen, tossing a salad. She looked up at me and grinned. "Welcome home."

There were pots simmering on the stove, the smell of bread wafted from the oven, a bottle of wine sat in a small bucket filled with ice, and smooth jazz played softly from the surround sound speakers. "You did all this?" I asked in disbelief. Nia nodded and walked over to me. "I told you I was going to make it up to you and I was serious. This weekend is all about us. You don't have to worry about Ronnie or any other distractions and that's a promise," she said.