Creating Distance (Part 11 of 13)

Him.....

Sam stepped out into the corridor closing the bedroom door behind him. Brushing hair away from his face, he turned to see his brother sat on the floor leaning against the door of the adjacent room. Dean's head was in his hands and took him a good few moments to notice Sam standing there. They exchanged a look that told Sam everything he needed to know. He knew his brother a little too well.

When Melody hadn't followed her cousin to the bedroom the evening before, Sam had gone back down to check everything was ok, as soon as Libby had crashed out on the bed. He'd had the unfortunate timing to catch Melody and Dean in the hotel bar and knew at that point, he would have to find an alternative place to sleep.

Looking down at his brother sat on the floor, he held out a hand to pull the weary guy to his feet. Dean did not possess that twinkle in his eye, that cocky smirk, or that 'cat got the cream' look he usually had after a night with a beautiful woman. Instead anguish was written across his face. Dean had let this girl in. Sam could see it so clearly, which only meant one thing. Between the two of them, they had lost almost everyone they've ever cared about. The pain carried around with them was unbearable, and Dean had added another name to the list of future heartbreak.

"Did you at least say goodbye to her?" Sam asked. Dean just shook his head with shame.
He had gone up to that room for just a few hours of fun. But somewhere in the middle the girl had bewitched him.

Her feisty exterior he'd been attracted to, turned out to be an act. She played it very well, but as they lay in bed together he could see her nervousness, saw how her hands shook and she just looked so damn vulnerable. Some of that armour Dean built around his heart had just melted straight through. He'd considered saying goodbye. He'd laid next to Her while she slept, debating whether to wake her for one last kiss. To wish her luck for the future. But in the end he decided against it. It seemed easier to leave her be.

"Probably for the best" Sam replied? It sounded like a harsh comment but it was safer for Melody to not get entangled any further with the Winchesters. She would have a chance at a better life, if she never spoke to them again. Dean pulled out the car keys and threw them at Sam.

"Come on lets blow this joint, you're driving".

_________________________________________________________
One year later

The brothers stood deep underground at a disused subway station. They were in the middle of another mission to save the world, but had temporarily put it all on hold to help out Garth on a case. Their gawky fellow hunter was struggling to gank a scuttling monster, that had managed to frighten away even the rats. The habitual hugger could tell his case was a well needed rest from their current long term assignment. He had been listening to Sam and Dean's constant fractious remarks ever since they showed up. They were brothers and they loved each other, but Garth could tell this was on of those times when the boys just really wanted to hit each other in the face. In the middle of disagreeing on what the actual monster could be, Garth's phone rang and he stepped away to answer, leaving the boys still growling in the background.

"Hi, yeah I've got time to talk.....tell me what you know so far?.....and how long has it been happening?... ok! Well Melody it's sounds to me that you've got yourself a Wraith. What you'll need to do is....." The phone was whipped away from his ear and Garth turned to see it in Dean's hand. The scowl was deep on the brother's face as he held the receiver towards Garth.

"Is it Melody Graves on the other end of this phone?" he asked and watched Garth nod, totally confused to what was going on. Dean slowly put the receiver to his ear.

"Mel?" the was a pause at the other end, which Dean took to mean she recognised his voice.

"Hey Dean" came her short dispassionate reply.