Six Foot Killer (Part 8 of 13)

Her......

It was hard for Melody to leave the hospital. Just removing herself from Libby's room felt like pulling on an invisible tether that joined them. She was tired, hurting and needed sleep but also terrified that if she left, it could be the last time she saw her cousin alive. Sam had taken hold of her by the shoulders forcing her eyes to gaze into his.

"I got this. I promise you if the slightest thing happens, I will call you". Sincerity poured from the eye contact they shared. Melody nodded taking a last moment with Libby, brushing a strand of blonde hair away from her cousins face and saying a silent prayer. After that there was nothing left to do but follow the older Winchester out of the hospital. The motel was only twenty minutes drive but felt so much longer. The embarrassing kiss was still playing on her mind and she felt compelled to say something to Dean about it.

"I'm so sorry for kissing you back there. I'm not sure why I did it. Maybe because you were there when I woke up and..."

"Already forgotten" Dean replied quickly stopping Melody from entering into an emotional conversation and getting them both thinking about their feelings. Melody nodded and left the topic alone. The Winchesters drove across the country acting heroically everyday, it was easy to imagine that she wasn't the first girl to momentarily fallen under their charms. The thought made her feel a little better? Breathing a sigh of relief, she leaned against the passenger window and closed her eyes for a minute.

That hum of the car filled the air. It really was a good sound. So steady and continuous. She had only been in the car a couple of times but it always felt like a safe place. Like an extension of Dean and those arms he'd wrapped around her at the hospital. She was amazed at how it ran so well, the car had to be at least fifty years old. It coughed and spluttered when the engine turned over or when it was idling to a stand still, but out on the open road, it roared with strength and stability. She knew it must take a considerable amount of care to keep the car in such good condition, considering the amount of miles it must do. Her mind unintentionally wandered to images of the brothers working on the car, shirtless and oily like something out of an old Levi's commercial.

"I love this car" she whispered and prayed Dean hadn't heard. There was an ongoing argument between them, regarding their choice of vehicle. After his last comment about her pink camper van, she had retaliated with her own insults.

'You can talk about inconspicuous, haven't you looked around lately. The world's full of hybrids and hatchbacks and you're driving around in a huge, black shiny monster. Tell me the truth. How many times do you have to drive around the block before you find a space big enough to park that thing?'

The hurt look on his face had been priceless.

The Impala suddenly jerked and Melody opened her eyes, noticing for the first time just how exhausted Dean looked at the wheel. She had taken Sam's comment that his brother hadn't slept in days as an exaggeration, but looking at him now it was clear he was moments away from falling asleep.

"You ok?" she asked

"Fine" he replied gruffly and she knew him well enough, that he wasn't about to pull-over and let her behind the wheel if she suggested they switch places.

"Can we have some music on?" she asked, hoping the sound would help keep them both awake. He reached out and twisted the knob letting 'Creedence' fill the air.

"Hey I love this one" Melody stated, singing along. The corners of Dean's mouth lifted as he listened, then shook his head and laughed.

"Don't ever audition for 'the voice'." he quipped but the comment didn't bother her. The noise kept his focus on the road and that's all that mattered. The motel room was a dump. It was damp and had a funky smell she couldn't quite put her finger on.