Chapter 6: Blurred Lines

If you can't hear what I'm trying to say

If you can't read from the same page

Maybe I'm going deaf,

Maybe I'm going blind

Maybe I'm out of my mind.

OK now he was close, tried to domesticate you

But you're an animal, baby, it's in your nature.

Just let me liberate you

You don't need no papers

That man is not your maker.

And that's why I'm gon' take a good girl

I know you want it

You're a good girl

Can't let it get past me

You're far from plastic

Talk about getting blasted

I hate these blurred lines.

I know you want it

But you're a good girl

The way you grab me

Must wanna get nasty

Go ahead, get at me.”

I entered the large double doors of the Catholic church where Raleigh’s wedding ceremony was about to start with Nicole and Drew by my side. As we were ushered to our seats on the “bride’s side”, I was amazed at how beautifully and elegantly the church was decorated. Flowers were everywhere and hundreds of candles glowed in the dim, romantic lighting. Raleigh really spent a lot of time and effort planning this wedding, and it was obvious that this was going to be the wedding of her dreams. 

I took my seat in the pew, smoothing my black high-low dress as I sat down and took the pressure off my feet, which were already starting to hurt from the red high heels I was wearing. In the front my dress came down to a few inches above my knees, but in the back it was much longer and stopped mid-calf. A red belt cinched my waist and a red necklace accented the “V” neckline of my dress, which also subtly called attention to my cleavage. I fidgeted with my gold watch as I anxiously waited for the ceremony to start and wondered if Toby could be there in the same room as me.

After the bridesmaids and flower girl walked down the aisle, it was Raleigh’s turn. Everyone in the church stood up to watch the large double doors swing open, revealing Raleigh standing there in her elegant wedding gown. She looked so pretty that tears sprung to my eyes. Nikki dug out a tissue from her clutch purse and handed it to me. I glanced up at Raleigh’s soon-to-be husband to see him wipe a few tears from his eyes as well. Even though I’d never met Raleigh’s groom, she’d shown me pictures and told me countless stories about him so I felt like I knew him.

During the beautiful, personal and intimate ceremony that followed, I tried occasionally to glance around the room in search of Toby’s face and messy brown hair. By the time the priest announced the newlyweds as “man and wife”, I was positive that Toby wasn’t there. My heart sunk down to my stomach. All of that excitement and jitters for nothing. I felt dumb for getting my hopes up that at the reception we could finally have our slow dance together that we never got to have at the party last weekend.

The wedding reception was held in the ballroom of a fancy hotel, so a lot of guests, like Nicole and myself, booked a room to stay in that night. No matter how many times I told Nicole I didn’t mind, she refused to ask Drew if he wanted to sleep on the pull-out couch in our hotel room. She thought it was “too soon”, even though they wouldn’t even be sleeping in the same bed together.