Chapter 7: Speeches

The second snow was heaven sent

You laid it out like evidence

Read all the words you never said

Like speeches for the president

I drew your name in wet cement

Made promises in reverence

To save them for your reference

A victim of my circumstance.

But oh when you lay your hands on me

I know that I can heal

There's a blinding light

That no one else can see

Nobody no nobody but me. 

Will I never know your name

Cause I wanna know

Did you ever care to say

That you want me?

That's all I wanted.”

I slept like a baby that night, and I didn’t wake up until the next morning when my cell phone started ringing. I cautiously opened one sleepy eye to peek at my phone’s screen which displayed Anna’s smiling face.

“Hey Anna, what’s up?”

“A group of us are going to go take advantage of the free breakfast this hotel offers. Meet us in the lobby at 10:30, okay?” Anna didn’t wait for my response before hanging up.

I yawned and checked the time on my phone: ten o’clock. Only thirty minutes to get ready. I gently woke Nikki up by hitting her in the face with a pillow.

“Get up, sleepy head. We’re going to breakfast with Anna and some other people.”

Nicole didn’t even give me the stink eye, she just smiled at me like an idiot and said “Good morning to you, too!”

Okay, what alien life form has taken over my best friend? Normally when I wake her up like that she at least gives me a nasty look.

“So I assume you had a good time with Drew last night?”

Nicole turned bright red when I mentioned Drew. “Mmhmmm… we… uh.. well… he sorta.. I mean we sorta… kinda…” she stumbled over her words shyly.

“You what?!”

“…Drew kissed me!” Nicole finally spat the words out, then she giggled and smiled uncontrollably. “We kissed!”

“Oh my gosh!! That’s great! How was it?!” I was so excited for her. This day had been 26 years in the making, and it was about time that she finally had her first kiss.

Nicole proceeded to tell me every last detail, leaving nothing out. Some of it was way more than I wanted to know, but she was excited, and I was excited for her, so I didn’t mind.

“Do you want to ask him to come to breakfast with us?”

“Of course!”

While Nikki called Drew, I showered and towel-dried my blonde curls, then got dressed in a pair of tan shorts and a navy blue t-shirt that said “Warner Avenue Elementary School”.

As I put on some light foundation and mascara, I listened to Nikki gush more about Drew and her incredible night.

“What happened with Toby? You guys were inseparable last night, it looked like you both were really enjoying yourselves,” Nikki asked me when she finally ran out of things to say about Drew.