Chapter 8: Latch

“You lift my heart up when the rest of me is down

You, you enchant me even when you're not around

If there are boundaries, I will try to knock them down

I’m latching on, babe, now I know what I have found

Now I’ve got you in my space

I won’t let go of you

Got you shackled in my embrace

I’m latching on to you

I’m so encaptured, got me wrapped up in your touch

Feel so enamored, hold me tight within your clutch

How do you do it, you got me losing every breath

What did you give me to make my heart beat out my chest?”

Apparently Toby Turner didn’t have a girlfriend after all. And not only was he single, but he was interested in me, Emma Leigh Cameron. Just a girl with a light southern accent from a small town in Texas. It was too good to be true. Except it was true, and it took me a while to wrap my mind around it.

I’d be the biggest idiot in America if I turned him down, so Toby said he’d pick me up at seven on Wednesday. I fell asleep with a smile on my face that night.

Monday and Tuesday flew by, which I was so thankful for because I couldn’t contain my excitement for Wednesday. Nothing could ruin my good mood.

When Wednesday rolled around, I felt a combination of nervousness and excitement all day long. It was hard for me to focus on teaching when all I could think about was how many hours were left until I’d see Toby’s handsome face again. My hands shook as I tried to write some math problems on the board and I hoped that my students didn’t take advantage of how flustered I was. Wednesday felt like the longest day ever to me. I didn’t eat anything on my lunch break because of all the butterflies in my stomach that made me feel like I was going to throw up if I put any form of food in my mouth.

I hadn’t heard from Toby since Sunday night after I’d said yes to the date and we’d said goodnight. I assumed he was just busy filming or something, and I didn’t expect to hear from him everyday, but I started to wonder if he was starting to change his mind about me. Maybe he’d realized that I’m just an ordinary, down-to-earth girl and he needed someone more special than me. Someone who was also semi-famous like himself.

My anxiety was eating away at me while my students were at recess after lunch, so I decided to send Toby a quick text to ease my nerves a bit.

Me: Where are we going tonight? I want to dress accordingly :)

Toby’s reply came almost instantly.

Toby: Let me worry about where we are going ;) just wear something nice but not too fancy, even though I’m sure you’ll look beautiful no matter what. Can’t wait to see you!

Me: Awwh thanks, I can’t wait either! :)

I put my phone away as the kids started to line up to go back inside, biting my lower lip to try to stop myself from smiling. Nope, it wasn’t working.

I made it through the rest of the school day and hurried back to my apartmentto get ready for the big date.

“Nicole! I have no idea what to wear!” I frantically searched through my closet for the perfect ensemble. What the hell did ‘nice, but not too fancy’ mean anyway?