Chapter 5

I just got out of the shower and was letting my hair dry while I was picking out something to wear tonight. I decided I was wearing my black skinny jeans, blue short sleeved plaid shirt, and brown sandals. Since Roc's favorite color is blue, I figured I would wear it, and of course because he's my brother. I got dressed and did I my makeup naturally, I couldn't help but keep staring at the bruises on my cheeks and arms, thank god for foundation! I always wear my glasses to school and out in public, but since its my birthday I'll wear my contacts that Roc got me a couple weeks ago, whenever my glasses broke. I looked at the time and seen I have an hour left to get ready, so I plugged in my curling iron. I got distracted and started dancing around my room, when the curling iron beeped letting me know it was ready to be used, I jumped a little. Halfway through curling my hair someone knocked on my door, Roc.

Me: "Come in!"

Roc: " Dang Ari you clean up good. How'd you cover up the bruises?"

Me: "Foundation, why?" *struggles to get the back of her hair*

Roc: *laughs* "Do you need help?"

Me: "You know how to curl hair?"

Roc: " Sorta my mom used to do it, and I would watch."

Me: "Oh."

Roc: "Yeah, there you kiddo all done."

Me: "Thanks. Should we go?"

Roc: "Ari we still have 30 minutes, why the rush?"

Me: "Um Dad?!"

Roc: "Oh yeah" *laughs* "I knew that."

Me: "Sure you did, let's go." *grabs phone and lip gloss* "Ready."

Roc: "Okay." *walks downstairs*

(skipping to the car)

-No one's P.O.V-

Roc backed out of the driveway, and starts to go down the road when he hits a red light. Ari was being really quiet, and kept staring out the window. She wanted to ask Roc about a dozen things but only one thing came to mind, "Does he know I'm adopted?" She wasn't sure how to ask and didn't want to make things awkward, so instead she turned out the radio, Juicy J's 'Bandz A Make Her Dance' was on, and Roc starting singing along with it.

Ari: *turns radio down* "Roc what do you remember about your dad?"

Roc: "Um he was like an older version of me, in a way. Why?"

Ari: "Just wandering, so where are we going?"

Roc: "Well I thought I would take you to the mall first."

Ari: "Seriously?!? Awesome!!!!"

Another 10 minutes of silence go by before Ari finally asks Roc.

Ari: "Roc you know how before when you asked how are we related, well I know why, did you know that I'm adopted?"

Roc: *swerves and almost hits an oncoming car* "What?!?"

Ari: "Did you know I'm adopted?"

Roc: "No I didn't , obviously. When did you find out?"

Ari: "That's the only explanation for why I'm white and your not."

Roc: "Ari that's not the reason, your not adopted, I know the real reason why."

Ari: "What's the real reason, I just figure I was adopted."