Chapter 2

-Day 1
(Sandy Prescott)

"Hurry up and wake up!" I shout as I kick Erik's chest. It's been about two minutes since he passed out. It's his own fault though. He well-deserved that blow to the head. I quit trying to wake him up for the third time. "You're lucky you're not dead." I say to his unconcious body.

I open another bottle of water. Flicking the plastic cap onto the sand, I chug the whole bottle down in one sitting and toss it into the pile of the other empty bottles.

"Damn, it's too hot to be out here!" I moan. Adjusting the sunglasses I found in a sack, my stomach grumbles. I haven't eaten a single thing ever since I woke up.

I've attempted eating the wretched food in the compartments, like a protein bar or dried meat, but it had absolutely no flavor at all and the food that did have flavor, I threw into the ocean, where it belongs. It would hae the scent and flavor of actual crap. I would not accept that as food.

"Guess I'll gnaw on some meat sticks until I want to puke my guts out." It's not easy being a vegitarian and going against my strict diet to stay the ay I am. But this is survival, and I do have broad limits; but there are limits. Shitty food crosses those limits.

The stale strip of protein I place onto my tounge disappoints my stomach, and my mood of frustration worsens. A gust of wind cools my clammy skin, but disorganizes my hair, that I just managed to make decent with the reflection of my glasses and my talented hands to pamper my golden locks. Now the wind has ruined my work. Oh, how I try to appreciate the little things, but it seems like there is an expensive price for a small luxury. If only I could pay those fees with actual money.

I can't resist the desert that has formed in my mouth anymore. I scavenge for another water bottle. I pry open a crate with my fingernails, breaking one of them off. I growl as I drown in more frustration. Snatching another bottle, I sit back down on the ground, where I made a mat out of a sleeping bag, and began my routine again. Pop the cap on the ground, take a bite of jerky, gulp down the water, repeat until I'm empty. After that, it has no use for me.

I stare at the ocean ahead of me. The yellow sun that awoke me today, is forming into a light orange setting slowly to my right. "That must be west then." I note to myself. Although Im not the nature loving gal, I've learned a thing or two about surviving from T.V.; How to tell which direction is which, knowing not to eat any strange berries, knowing to make a fire before night, learning how t-

"Wait a minute..." I murmur. "I need a fire! It'll get dark soon!"  I hop out of my place and start flipping crates over to find anything useful. "How do you make a fire?!" I ask myself, not expecting a reasonable answer back though.

A grumble escapes the lips of Erik. I tilt my head that way and sprint that way. I tripped over a small bag and landed in the sand. My face was only inches away from his. His eyes were open the whole time. He saw me fall. I blushed out of embarrassment.

"It's okay." He says hoarsely. "I made the same mistake."

His dark brown eyes showed friendliness in his statement. I didn't feel as self-concious when he confessed the same foolish action I did. I brushed the sand off of my body and I arose to my feet. "Get up! I need you to help me make a fire before it gets dark!"

"How long was I out?" He says, ignoring my command.

"Doesn't matter. Just come help me make a fire!" I spit back at him.

"It does matter!" He protests back at me. " About five minutes or longer I could have a major head injury."

"Damn, only like, four minutes for Christ's sake! Now come help me build a fire!"