Chapter 20

-Day 18
(Hakobe Wheeler)
    "At last," I exhale, waking up aside the ashes, "alone at last." My plan worked. I managed to have dispose of all three exasperating pests. Not a drop of blood on me either, I made those fools walk to the paths of their deaths. The dumb girl was easy. All I had to do was tell her to go fetch something and let the lost puppy wander around until she didn't know her left from right. The other two actually had at least a fraction of a brain. I tried starving them while I live off of the "lost" supplies that I hid, but that wasn't enough. I knew I had to break the other two up. I just left the girl at that dusty fire camp. The guy with me was the hardest to lose. Just because it was the hardest though, doesn't mean it was that hard. All I had to do was point a directionn to tell him to hunt and run as far as I could. I never saw him again, and my mission was complete. So here I lay in this forest, alone, free to what I wish. It's lull, it's peaceful, it's not too bad. For now. I know the next hour or so, I'm going to despise every speck of this place, that's just how I am, and that's how it was with those three people. They were fine, but the one I grew bored of their presence, I abandoned them, maybe even killed them. Careful of their well-being I am not though.

My head snaps when I hear the sudden snaps of twigs and leaves, followed by a moan of frustration. Towards the noise, through the thicket, a bushy ball of yellow strands bounce. I take a closer look of what it is. I investigate behind a bush to see that the bouncing ball of strands in the air was actually blonde hair, very messy and dirty hair that belonged to a a short lady with petite clothes. Shorts that came up to the higher ends of her thoughts, which had cuts and bruises all over them. Cuts all over this woman's body matter of fact. Her unnaturally tan body. Extremely tan. Familiar skin it is. Hair too. It might be- no it can't be. It better not be- Whitney?
How could such a painfully dumb girl survive all these days alone? She even has the bag that I told her to fetch. Days ago!
I just have to hide. I'll hide behind this bush and make absolutely no noise. I'll let her pass, like a dumb bear.  I don't even bother to breathe much while she is nearby. She walks aimlessly, confused of where to go. The same expression she has had since I've been on this mysterious land: dumbfounded.
Her presence becomes warmer to me, and the more I anticipate her spotting me, the harder I try to hold my breath, the closer she gets. She stands right in front the bush I hide behind. Yet she doesn't spot me. My lungs start kicking and clawing at my throat and my will grows weaker than a dying animal.
A long, excruciating minute passes before she begins walking off. I gingerly release the breath of air as she walks away. I begin crawling back to my supplies and bouncing out of this area. That was until I stepped on a twig, that released an echoing snap. Whitney trots back as I try scurrying out of the scene. Just make a run for it. I encourage myself.
"Someone there?" Whitney asks with her annoyingly thick American country accent. One of the most annoying accents I've ever heard.
Run away, Hakobe, she won't catch you. I command myself, yet I still crawl to my fireplace in a rushed pace, but not quick enough. Whitney gains proximity at a rapid rate.
"Hukobee?" She says, pronouncing my name in an abstract way. "Hakobe, is that you?"
I snatch all of my snack bars and waters and stuff them in every pocket I have. I pull myself off the ground and scurry my way around a thick tree. Dammit, just run! Run Hakobe, right now! I continues to hide behind this log.
Silence is set, and an eerie, dead silence is struck upon all the tropical forest. Next thing I know, a loud twangy voice is being yelled in my ear. "Hukobee?! I've been looking all over for y'all!" There she was, Whitney's freckle infested face, crooked teeth and beady blue eyes, staring directly into mine in a sort of evasive way. "I got your bag you asked for! Boy, was that a task!" She says followed by a throaty chortle.
You should have just ran Hakobe. You should have just fucking ran.