Chapter 5

The first week of school came to an end and that meant two things: the weekend had finally arrived and it was time for the first football game of the school year. The jamboree game officially kicked off the football season and it was a pretty big event in Morrison Heights. The church always organized a big cookout for the game. They sold the food for a dollar but I knew each and every dollar went directly into Pastor Simmons's pocket. Malcolm had to work that day so I wasn't going to see him until after the game at Maxi later that night.

          My friends and I agreed to ride together that afternoon and evening, and of course they all wanted to ride in my car. I picked them up and we headed over to the school's football stadium. We paid our way in and got some good seats on the home side. When the game was about to start, the players ran onto the field and I immediately spotted Quentin. He was number fifty-five and one of the tallest boys on the team. I didn't want anyone to notice me looking at him so I occasionally looked down at my phone as if I were watching something on it.

          "They're all so fine," said Coby. "Especially that damn Quentin. Ooh he got a phat ol' ass."

          Brandi burst out in laughter and added, "His ass is plump. I bet Sasha used to grab on it whenever they had sex."

          "I know I would, child. Mmm he could tackle me all he wants, honey." He fanned his face. "I wouldn't run from that big ass country dick. I'd drop all this booty on him and see how high he scores."

          "Coby," I interjected, "Quentin wouldn't touch you with a fifty foot pole."

          "Ooh burn," Kayla called out with a laugh.

          "Well excuse me bitch," Coby snapped at me. "I didn't know you knew everything." He rolled his eyes. "Anyway, do y'all think Marcel Roberson is DL? He's in my anatomy class and he keeps looking at me."

          "Maybe he looks at someone who sits beside you," suggested Brandi.

          "Ew, Mary Hutten sits beside me and she's a big fat white girl."

          "Maybe he's into big fat white girls," I suggested with a laugh.

          The game began and even though my friends kept talking amongst each other, I paid attention to the game. I enjoyed football and unlike my friends, I wasn't there just to watch the boys. However, Quentin did keep catching my attention whenever he and the other offensive players were on the field. I could tell whenever the quarterback was going to go for a long pass because Quentin would glance over at him and they'd give mutual head nods to each other. Then Quentin would take off up the field and turn just at the right moment to catch the ball. He scored three touchdowns by doing that.

          By the time halftime rolled around, the smell of grilled hotdogs and hamburgers had gotten to me. I had planned on avoiding the church's cookout but my stomach wasn't agreeing with me. Before I knew it, I was over at the big tent asking for a hotdog with chili and extra onions. Just as I was paying, the great Pastor Marcel Simmons walked up to me. He was like a fatter version of Malcolm without the cute eyes.

          "Demitri Lattimore," he called out with such a high volume that people looked over at us. "How are you doing on this beautiful Friday afternoon?"

          Now embarrassed, I flashed a fake smile and replied, "I'm doing just fine, sir."

          "That's good to hear. The Lord is great, ain't he?"

          "All the time, sir." I felt like throwing my hotdog on his shoes.

          "So, have you been seeing my son and his new girlfriend around school?"