Chapter 18

December 12th arrived and I couldn't have been happier. It was my 18th birthday and all I wanted to do was have the best night of my life. After spending time with my family at home opening gifts and taking pics, I headed over to Maxi where everyone was already waiting on me to arrive. I entered the club and checked in my coat before stepping into the main area. As soon as I walked in, everyone clapped and cheered. My friends snapped pics of me and it was all so surreal. I wasn't expecting it but I damn sure enjoyed it.

          "You look great," Brandi said as she and Kayla approached me. "Just wait until you see your gift table."

          "Yeah," agreed Kayla. "You probably won't even be able to see my small gift on it."

          "Where's Coby?" I asked them.

          "In the bathroom...with Marcel," said Brandi, causing us all to laugh. "Hopefully they're just making out."

          I was in the middle of talking to them when I got a text message from Quentin asking me to meet him out in his car. I told Brandi and Kayla that I had to get something out of my car and then walked back outside. When I found Quentin's car, I looked around to make sure no one was out there before climbing in through the passenger side door. He looked so sexy and wasn't wearing athletic clothes for the first time in forever. He actually dressed up for my party. And his hair and facial hair were freshly lined up. I just wanted to kiss his sexy ass, and I did.

          "Damn, you never get this riled up," he said with a laugh.

          "You look so sexy tonight," I told him. "And that cologne is turning me on. Mmm, we might have to get something started in this car."

          "As much as I'd like that, I got a surprise for you."

          "Ooh, I like surprises."

          "It wasn't easy but I talked four of my teammates into helpin'."

          "Your teammates are here?"

          "Not yet but they on the way. You and your friends are gonna love it. I can promise you that."

          "I can't wait. So where's my gift?"

          "Damn shawty, I thought me bein' here would be gift enough." He started laughing. "I'm just fuckin' around, boo. Of course I got you somethin'. I saved up a few paychecks checks to get you somethin' special." He reached around me and opened his glove compartment. He pulled a small black velvet box with a red ribbon tied around it out and handed it to me.

          "Can I open it now?"

          "If you want."

          I undid the ribbon and opened the velvet box to see it was a gold ring with my nickname engraved inside. I couldn't believe he'd bought me something so expensive. "Quentin, how much did this cost?"

          "The way I feel about you is priceless, baby. I bought this promise ring for you because I'm ready to make you a promise." He grabbed my hand. "Demitri Lattimore, I promise that I will do my best to take care of your heart. I know I was confused for a minute but I ain't confused no more. And I hope that with this ring you'll know that I'm for real." He took the ring from the box and slid it onto my ring finger.

          "It's a perfect fit. I love it, Quentin." I threw my arms around his neck and hugged him. We shared a few quick kisses.

          "Happy birthday, boo." He kissed me again. "A'ight, now get yo lil' ass back inside. I'll be in there in a second."