Chapter 10

I sat in my car for nearly thirty minutes outside of Maxi because I couldn't stop crying. The thought of breaking up with Malcolm to his face made me feel sick. If I told him over the phone, then I'd still have to hear his voice. If I told him through text, he'd probably just call me. And the thought of writing him a letter felt so distant. There was no way out. There was just no way out and I hated it. I fucking hated it with a passion. By the time I was ready to go inside, I'd rehearsed everything I was going to say to him in my head.

          His parents had rented out Maxi that Friday night for him to celebrate his 18th birthday, and they'd have brunch with him that Sunday after church. Brandi was the only one out of my group of friends who could come. Kayla was out of town with her family visiting her grandma and Coby was spending more time with Marcel. After grabbing Malcolm's gift, I climbed out of my car and locked it up. I texted Brandi and asked was she already there as I made my way around to the front of the club. She quickly texted back saying that she didn't feel well and that she wouldn't be coming. I was in the middle of texting her back when Sasha bumped into me.

          "Ugh, watch where you're going," she snapped at me as her and friends moved around me.

          "Bitch," I muttered under my breath.

          "Excuse me? What was that?"

          Typically, I ignored Sasha and didn't give her the time of day because everyone knew she lived for drama. But that night just wasn't the night to fuck with me. I was already prepared to lose the one boy I'd ever wanted in my life and now this bitch was in my face. A part of me wanted to wrap my hands around her neck and choke the life out of her but then it hit me; her ex wanted me. The biggest smile formed on my face.

          "I called you a bitch. Bitch."

          "Oh no he didn't," said Victoria, one of her brainless cheerleader minions.

          "Little boy, I don't know who you think you are but don't make me come up out these heels and show you some manners. I am looking too cute tonight but I will lose this cuteness to beat your gay ass down."

          "Bitch, please. You lay one hand on me and I will break your jaw. I don't hit females but I'll beat a bitch down in a second."

          "Okay faggot, you got one more time to call me a bitch and..."

          "Bitch!"

          "That's it." She took her earrings off. "Hold my shit, Vikki." She handed her earrings and purse to Victoria before stepping out of her heels and getting in my face. "You don't know who the fuck you're messing with, Demitri. I don't play."

          "Neither do I, bitch." She got closer to me, so close that our chests touched. "You need to back up."

          "No nigga, you need to apologize before I put these hands on you."

          "If you were gonna hit me you would've done it by now, bitch."

          Just as she was raising her fist, Quentin ran up out of nowhere and grabbed her. He pulled her back and said, "Yo chill."

          "Let me go, Quentin!"

          "Yeah," I agreed, still smiling. "Let her go, Quentin. Chihuahuas like to nip at people's ankles to assert their perceived dominance."

          "Did he just call me a Chihuahua? Quentin, you better let me go!"

          "Nah, I'm gettin' you inside right now. Come on." He pulled her into the club and her friends followed. A few seconds later, Quentin stepped back out. He looked at me and asked with a laugh, "What the fuck was that?"