Chapter 7

The next day at school was rough for me. I could barely look at Malcolm whenever we passed each other in the hallways. At lunch, my friends didn't even seem to notice that my mind was in another place. And then I spotted Quentin hugging and kissing all over Brittney Allen, one of the many groupies who hung around the football and basketball players. I kept getting the feeling that he was doing that with her because of what happened in my bedroom the night before. I didn't know the exact reason why he got an erection but the fact that he was all over Brittney just spelled overcompensation to me. It made it seem like he had something to prove and that meant he was in denial. I couldn't believe what was happening.

          Later that day in our calculus class, he walked in just a second before the tardy bell rang. He sat down in the seat beside mine as usual and gave me a subtle head nod as if things weren't awkward between us. I wanted to ask him what the night before was all about but we were surrounded by other students. All I could do was block my thoughts and focus on our test. The studying we did get done the night before paid off because we were the first two to finish. We got to leave early and that's when I took advantage of the opportunity.

          "What was up with last night?" I asked him as we headed out to the student parking lot.

          "What you mean?" he asked back.

          "Something was up with you last night before you left my house."

          "I don't know what you talkin' about, D." He pulled his key from his pocket and made his way to his car, which was parked directly in front of mine.

          "But..." I stopped and just shook my head. I had a feeling that he'd be in denial about the whole thing and now I had proof. "So, how do you think you did on the test?"

          He leaned against the driver's side door of his Caprice and looked at me before saying, "Demi, I gotta get home and change real quick for this job interview at Pizza Hut. Then I gotta get back here for football practice. I'll hit you up later."

          "Okay. I didn't mean to hold you up. Sorry." I rolled my eyes and hurried over to my car. I climbed in and started it up. I backed out of the space and sped out of the parking lot while he was still sitting in his car.

========

          The sound of the thunderstorm roaring outside woke me up from my mini-nap. I quickly sat up and looked over to see Malcolm was sleeping beside me, still completely naked. I softly shook him and he woke up immediately. We'd only been sleeping for about half an hour. The sex had worn us both out. We looked at each other's naked bodies for a while and just smiled at each other. And then I climbed off the bed, picked my underwear up from the floor and slid them on.

          "Can we go another round?" he asked me, still lying in my bed. "It feels so much better without condoms, baby."

          "It does feel better," I agreed. "But no, we can't go another round. You have me sore."

          "I'm sorry, baby. I didn't mean to get that rough. You got me so riled up when you slid your hand into my jeans downstairs. Come here." He grabbed me hand and pulled me back down onto the bed. He kissed my lips. "I'm sorry. You forgive me?"

          "Yes, I forgive you." I kissed him again. "Now get up and get your clothes on. If you hurry, I'll make you a sandwich."

          "Good because I am hungry." He laughed as we climbed off the bed together.