Chapter 14 - Plan A

A headache, a bad bump to the head, and two painkillers later, I was back to sleeping on the lumpy bed in the boring guest bedroom. Waking up hours later, I noticed that the sun was no longer lighting up the sky, but the full moon was.

"Ugh, what time is it?" I groaned, sitting up.

"Almost 3:30." I jumped at the sound of Dean's voice.

"Holy crap!" I reached over and turned on the lamp. The dull yellow glow lit up his chiseled face, five o' clock shadow present around his mouth. "What are you doing in here?" Not that I was complaining.

"I wanted to make sure you were okay when you finally woke up. You've been sleeping for hours." His voice was tired, over-worked.

"Oh gee, I'm sorry I've had a rough day." I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. "How's Hailey?" I groggily asked.

"She's," He paused, looking for the right word. "Different." He looked up at me. "Just like you said."

"I don't mean to be demeaning but, I told you so." I crossed my legs under the blankets and turned so I was facing him.

He smirked. "Yep, you told me."

I was then smiling. I couldn't help but stare at him, how could anyone not? "So where is she now?"

"She's in the other bedroom." He answered softly. He looked around the room with an unfocused look in his eyes.

I was worried. Questions engulfed my mind, but I threw them aside. I wasn't going to let myself think the worst, but I couldn't help it.

I suddenly thought of something Dean had informed me of when I first joined their team. "What about demons?" He looked up, surprised. But I could tell he was thinking about it.

"Impossible, Bobby's house is completely secure from any type of supernatural being."

"What if its not?"

This puzzled him, I could practically see the wheels in his head spinning, processing. "Demons," He whispered to himself. "demons." He gasped, and suddenly he was out the door.

I looked after him into the dark hallway. Shadows playing tricks on my eyes.

He was back in a moment, Sam following close behind looking tired and disarrayed. Dean was then pitching the idea of a demon breaking in to Sam, who listened intently but was swaying back and forth at the same time.

"So," Sam paused, gathering words. "You think that a demon broke in through the bathroom window while Hailey was in there, and possessed her?"

I nodded furiously. "Yes! Why else would the window be broken? And doesn't it explain why Hailey is acting strange?"

We then concocted a plan to expose the demon inside Hailey. We each had a job to do; Dean was getting the salt, Sam was painting the traps, and I had to get Hailey to cooperate with me so it could all fall into place.

"Could you pass the syrup, Hailey?" I munched away at the pacakes I had made for everyone. An early celebration for our plan, even though we hadn't yet figured out if it was going to work. She thrusted the syrup bottle at me, dropping it when I didn't reach for it. I gave her a look that would scare the demon out of her, if only she'd seen it.

I clanked my fork in attempt to get Dean's attention. After a minute of him silently stuffing his face, he looked up. I made a gesture that said "Hurry up and get a move on!", he nodded his head, took a final bite and went into action.

 "So Hailey, are you feeling better?" I asked, a sweet tone hanging on the edge of my voice.

Her eyes stopped darting around the room and fixed on my face. A fire was burning deep within them. "Fine." She answered.

"Would you be up to going for a walk a little later?" I gathered up the dishes on the table and placed them in the sink. I hope this works.

"I guess so." She scrapped her chair against the floor and left the room, and me to do the dishes.