Restless night (4.5 months)

It had been storming, lightning had filled the whole house with a brilliant incandescent light and then a large crack of thunder had awoken Carl and it made Sam kick. He touched his swollen belly and got up from the bed and went downstairs to calm his son. Carl then thought to himself,"Great now the baby's up and I can not go back to sleep! Well might as well get up now and there goes my 8 hour sleep!" Soon a frightened and a very reassuring Carl said,"I'm sorry buddy shh...shh...daddy's got you!" Sam started moving wildly and he calmly rubbed soothing circles around the area were Sam was most active. Then mixed in with the calming sounds of the rain and the low rumble of thunder he started humming a lullaby that his mother Lori had sang to him when a thunderstorm had scared him awake. Soon after the storm had passed and Carl was still calming Sam down. Just then Ron came downstairs and he said to Carl,"Can't sleep?" Carl shook his head and then Ron noticed Carl's small compact knife and he then said,"Why do you sleep with your knife al the time babe?" Carl looked at his fiancé and took a deep breath and said,"Okay if you really want to know then sit down and I will tell you!"

Then his mind flashed back to that dreadful night and he said,"A few years ago I was nearly raped by this asshole named Joe and I could swear to this day that he was drinking he shoved me to the ground and I was screaming and crying and telling me to let go of me but then my dad Sam's grandpa took a rock and struck one of Joes goons in the face which triggered a gunshot from his gun and Daryl my Uncle killed two more of the guys and then my dad killed joe with a rock and that is why I wear a knife to bed and keep my snub nose in arms reach so that if anyone breaks in I will be ready!" Carl pulled out his knife and he said,"Ron can you run back upstairs and grab my blade sharpener its in my bedside drawer next to three boxes of pistol ammo!" Ron quickly ran upstairs and got the sharpener and gave it to him as Carl pulled out his knife from his sheath and began to sharpen the blade after he was done he returned the knife back to its sheath and laid on his fiancée chest.

Ron took a blanket off the back of the couch and covered both of them up. He kissed the top of Carl's head and he said,"You two get some sleep okay? You had a long day and the two of you deserve it!" Carl purred like a kitten as he relaxed within the confines of Ron's huge biceps as he shut his eyes and very slowly started to fall asleep. Ron soon then followed as he listened intently to Carl's adorable sleeping noises and soft slow breathing and the gentle rhythm of their heartbeats at a slow but delicate pace but at peace. It was a soft lullaby that was being played just for them and them only a private concert of a warm Georgia summer night breaking into a beautiful morning dawn.