Chapter 1: Meeting

I trudge home from practice, my body completely and entirely exhausted. Walking in my front door, I immediately slump on the couch. Ugh. Why do they make us practice running and fighting in our elemental practice? When will we need those skills? Coach says I'm the fastest on our team, but I know he says that so I don't feel bad about my terrible fighting skills.

I groan as I stand up, and walk slowly up the stairs into my bathroom. I wince at my reflection in the mirror. My flaming red hair is sweaty and grimy, and my gym uniform is sticking to my body with sweat. Too tired to pull off my clothes I step in the shower and let the warm water massage my aching muscles. I remember how everyone I know says I'm lucky to be able to morph into fire. Sure, it's fun sometimes, but it really leaves you sore and tired. Plus, if you aren't careful, you could hurt someone you love or set a building on fire. I remember when that happened three years back. I was only twelve then, but I remember my mom telling me about it. An elemental was showing off in front of his house and accidentally backed up into it. He turned human and went inside to try to rescue his little sister. He didn't come out in time and they both died. After a few more minutes of thinking in the shower, I step out and walk into my room, dripping wet. Finding a towel that's been on my floor for who knows how long, I dry off and put on a clean pair of gray sweatpants and a black t-shirt.

As I walk down the stairs, I hear a quiet clang in the kitchen. Creeping around the corner, I see a girl rummaging through our cupboards with her back to me. All I can tell is that she has long brown hair and dark green sweatpants and a t-shirt on.

I creep down the rest of the stairs and plant myself between her and the door. "Looking for something?" I ask her.

She jumps and whips around. "What are you doing here?" She's really pretty, and has a nice face framed by beautifully flowing hair.

"I live here," I say with a smirk. "What's your excuse?"

"Um... it's a long story?"

"I have time."

"Well, I ran away from a nearby fire village. Everyone there made fun of me because they all had red hair and mine is brown."

"Your hair is beautiful... I mean, that's terrible." I felt my face get as red as my hair.

"Yeah..."

"Can I make you something to eat?"

"Uh, sure."

I joined her in the kitchen and started making a pan of scrambled eggs. It's pretty much the only thing I know how to cook, but she looked satisfied when I gave her a plateful and a glass of grape juice.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked her.

"You just did," she replied with a smile. Smart and pretty. "Yes you can."

"What is your name?"

"Brooke."

"I'm Aden Stearne."

"Nice to meet you, Aden." My heart fluttered when she said my name. I can't love her already, can I?

Once she finished her eggs, I asked her if she wanted to take a shower.

"Are you implying that I stink?" she said, grinning.

"No, it's just, I mean-"

"I'd love a shower." I smiled and led her upstairs where I gave her a clean towel and showed her to the bathroom. She went inside and I heard the shower turn on. I walked into my room and sat on my bed. Man, I thought, is she pretty! I hope she can stay a while... but where would she sleep? Somehow, I have a feeling she wouldn't want to sleep in my bed! But she sure is pretty...

I hear the shower turn off. Was I daydreaming that long? I walk out of my room to see Brooke back in her green clothes with her hair in a ponytail.

"Feel bett-," I start to say, but I am interrupted by the sound of my mother screaming.