A Date I Mustn't Be Late For

The next couple of hours flew by, I ordered some Chinese for dinner and had conversations about past distractions and where our paths may have crossed before. Before we knew it, it was time to go. Moran led me out into the night and we started to walk to the end of the street where we could hail a cab.

A black cab drew up, the cabby stated "The weather is good today."

"Yes, but I always bring a brolly." Moran replied. The cabby smiled and switched off the taxi light on the roof. This was obviously a pre-arranged signal to make sure firstly, we had the right cab. Secondly, that we were who we said we were. Soon enough we were on the way to Napoleon's Statue. We didn't talk much on the way there, he just kept telling me the basics that I wasn't to try to run blah, blah, blah, it's all so tedious. We reached the venue for my meeting. It was the usual sort of deal a black car parked obviously with the big man in. There were plenty of security for the boss around. 3 snipers, 5 hitmen dressed as passersby and of course your usual professional-looking blokes in black stood in a loose semicircle.

Moran led me to the edge of the congregation of various types of henchmen. The car door opened, a middle-aged man stepped out who was quickly greeted by Sebastian. There seemed to be some tension between the two of them, which made my plan all the easier. This was clearly the boss as the faces of the lads around me seemed to drop into a more serious position, more so as he came closer towards the group.

"Ahhh Mr Moriarty, I'm assured that you had a safe trip here?" I nodded with a comically serious face, it seemed not to be his cup of tea, as he raised an eyebrow. "Yes, yes well let's not waste time. I assume your services are still up for use?" He asked.

"Yes, but I'd quite like to know first if you're worthy. And secondly, who...you...are." I said, boldly. In all seriousness I could get quite nasty with time wasters, not that this one looked like one. He seemed sensible enough, I just needed to know his name and whether he would give up his game straight away, also whether sweetening the deal or stealing Moran were options.

"Oh, I can assure you I AM worthy and so is the job..." he informed me, quite confidently. "How rude of me not to introduce myself, I am Alexander Johnson second most sought after person in England, the first being you, I am told." I was flattered slightly but of course I knew not all his words were true he was the fourth most wanted in London not England, but still worth thinking about taking on.

"I am James Moriarty, consulting criminal and lover of a good distraction," I said bowing dramatically.

"I do think we should talk the job over in private. Now you seem to be liking my distraction," He led me to his car, waving Moran to come too. Once in the car, he started to drivvle on about how he got to the place he's at. Which to be completely honest I really didn't care about, just as it seemed to get to the climax of his story I yawned rather loudly making eye contact with Sebastian, making him smile but making Alexander rather startled. I smiled innocently trying to get the message to him that I was bored already, he seemed to get it after that.

"So shall we talk the job then?" The boss said sheepishly worried he'd be interrupted again.

"Yes, then we shall talk about payment," I smiled, my plan was all falling into line. I'd tell him no for his job because it was too simple and boring, then improve it, then say well I would need protection for all this risky business. If he said no then I would ask to have him for good as part of the payment and he would say yes as he isn't losing as much then. Things went exactly as described, Johnson told Moran he no longer needed his services and that I was now his highest bidder and that I would also give him accommodation, which is true. After Alexander's conversation with Sebastian he wondered over to me and just stood with his hands in his pockets looking at the floor.

"I'm guess I'm coming with you then?" he mumbled.

"Yeah, I guess you are," It started to rain, as we walked to the edge of the square where we could hail a cab. One drew up very quickly no secret words here just a plain cab. We got in and soon enough we were on our way. Moran looked glum I guess he's starting to get a little caught up in the idea that he had been passed on like some old shoes.

"I'm unemployed, have no money until the end of the week and I have nowhere to stay. Great!" he said getting agitated. I thought now would be a good time to put forward our plans I had made for us.

"Look, Sebastian, I have employed you, you will be staying at my flat in the spare room and I will hold off the rent until you get paid alright?" I wanted to sound reassuring to him that's what ordinary's wanted isn't it?

"Thank you sir,"

"Seriously, you don't need to call me sir. Just Jim'll do. Anyway I have employed you as a personal protection assassin the job you always wanted," I said with a smile, I saw his eyes light up, there was that slight puzzlement in his face however.

"How did you... seriously, you just got that like before. What from this time? The way I breathe?" He said mocking me slightly.

"Not as such... it was a random stab in the dark," I said truthfully. We both broke out into laughter.

We approached the flat just as our laughter had died down, I showed him into the spare room. This was usually just where I kept things when I was onto a plan.

"Help yourself to the kitchen and things, do you have any possessions that need moving or anything like that?" I asked from the kitchen, I was just going to boil the kettle for some tea.

"Urm, no. Just me." He called back. Whilst the kettle was going, I went to go lean on the doorframe of my new flatmates room.

"Do you have any preference on what I call you? In case I need to, of course," I asked. Trying desperately to sound like I wasn't implying that he was just my pet.

"Well I just usually get called soldier or you there by most employers Sir... ummm, I mean Jim," Oh how those words made me think, I liked the sound of him calling me Jim. I had the control here I could call him whatever I wanted.

"How about Seb? It's short and less formal then using your second name," I suggested.

"Yes, I like that actually. Easy enough to respond to," He nodded in affirmation. I decided that I would go pour the tea then make my way to bed, I needed to think on what had happened. Seb followed me through and watched me pour.

"Tea Seb?"

"Yes please, what's the plan for tomorrow then?" he enquired, already he seemed eager to work with me.

"We'll get up when we get up and go from there. Take an earned lie in," I said getting tired. I handed him his tea and started my way to my room.

"I'm going to bed, Goodnight Sebby," I said turning round to face him arms wide like the finale of a show.

"Goodnight, Sir,"

"Its Jim." I called out.

"I meant Jim...Goodnight Jim." he strode into his room tea in hand and closed the door. I danced into my room, kicking the door shut with my foot on the last step. Placing my tea on the bedside table, I laid down on the bed placing my hands together and putting them under my chin. I closed my eyes to think, little did I know that my equal was doing the same. Not Seb, not Dr Watson or AJ but ... SHERLOCK

Sherlock, the fallen angel, had survived.