10 - 2015, February

******

"And now for the person of the term," the headteacher says.

Dae sighs and sinks into her seat.

"Why can't this finish?" Hazel complains.

Dustin sits back down the other side of Dae. "Where were you?" Dae whispers ignoring the speaking head teacher.

"Went to the bathroom," Dustin replies easily.

"How the hell do you manage that?" Hazel hisses.

"For a start, being quiet and not drawing attention to myself like you are," Dustin comments lowly.

Hazel also sinks in her seat causing people to face the front again. "Whatever."

"We don't recognise the armed forces as much as they deserve at this school. I am sure most of you hear about them a lot but very few know what it is like to be part of those families. There are two military families in this school even though they don't always like making themselves known. Between them they have three people in the armed forces, however, one unfortunately never made it back," the head teacher says, two pictures appearing on the drop-down screen behind him.

Dae looks at the picture of her and her parents in their uniform with wide eyes, however, her back is to the camera as she hugs her parents. She glances at Dustin who is sat looking at the picture of him and his dad grinning side by side.

"Wait, that's Dustin," someone mutters, several rows in front of them.

"So in recognition on how they have coped over a difficult period of losing a parent but still managing to boost their grade, can we welcome Dae onto the stage please?" The head teacher says glancing back at the pictures.

Dae looks at Dustin with wide eyes.

"Just go up. Trust me," Dustin whispers through the applause.

Dae stands up and heads to the stage.

"What have you done?" Faye asks, looking at Dustin across Dae's empty seat.

"Just watch," Dustin replies quietly with a small smile.

Dae steps up onto the stage, glancing nervously at the crowd. "This reminds me of my mum's funeral," Dae mutters as she reaches the head teacher who smiles reassuringly.

"I don't bite you know. Although the German shepherd looks with your mum looks like he will," the head teacher says.

"No, Smoke didn't bite unless you attacked her," Dae replies.

"Seriously, what did you do?" Faye asks and Dustin just points to the stage where the screen is moving up quietly to reveal Dae's dad and Smoke by his side. "Holy shit! How did you manage that?" She whisper-exclaims, gesturing wildly with her hands.

Dae spots Faye's frantic hand gestures and rolls her eyes as she can't hear what is being said.

"Why did you say didn't?" The headteacher asks.

"Because Smoke died with mum?" Dae states confused.

"What if she didn't?"

"Smoke died with mum, she couldn't be alive. I know Smoke." Dae runs a hand through her hair stressed, looks back and spots Smoke in the progress. "Smoke?" Smoke barks, her tail wagging happily. "But?"

"Smoke was never reported dead, they just used a picture of Smoke and your mum for the report," Dae's dad says making Dae look at him in shock.

"Dad?" Dae questions as she runs up to him, wrapping him in a hug as she starts crying silently. "How?"