Chapter 4

“Shit! I can’t find it” I shouted tossing bubble wrap and cardboard alike into the air.

“Calm down sweetie what is it you can’t find”? Caleb asked the voice of reason.

“The bloody button box”! I shouted again not sparing him a glance.

“Button box”? He asked “Like for sewing”?

“Do I look like I sew? No the button box”! 

“What so like memorabilia buttons”?

“No good lord man do you not watch T.V. the button box”! I was starting to lose my patience with him does he not speak English?

 “I don’t understand what a button box has to do with T.V.”

“How do you expect me to change the channel without it? There is no way I’m getting up every five minutes to do it manually”.

“Oh you mean a remote” he nodded in understanding.

“No I mean a button box, who says remote”?

“Uh, just about everybody” he laughed.

“Sarcasm does not suit you” I glared.

“Everything suits me” he smirked with a horribly attractive yet arrogant face.

“In your dreams” I muttered.

“In yours actually” he muttered back.

“What’s that supposed to mean”?

“Nothing” he smiled and I narrowed my eyes in suspicion.

“No funny business this is my house and I have no problem in seeing you exit it”.

“I’ll be good”.

“Yeah yeah but you can’t stay here much longer anyway so don’t get too comfortable” I called as I stomped another cardboard box flat. Suddenly arms wrapped around me from behind and I felt all, warm and happy and home.

“Why not”?

“Because I need to go shopping if Kai and I plan on surviving the winter” I murmured leaning back into Caleb’s chest.

“Why can’t I come with you? I can show you where the store is and be all gentlemen like and carry your bags”.

“People will start to talk if we keep spending so much time together and I can manage it’s a small town it can’t that far away”.

“Who cares what people say besides it wouldn’t be a bad thing for everyone to know we’re together”. I froze for a second then turned around in his arms to face him.

“Are we together”?

“I spent the night in your bed in nothing but my underwear and between meeting and now we’ve made out like twenty times, so I’m going to say yes... I’ve told you how I feel about us Carly, I begged you to move here and I’ve begged you to stay I kind of thought it was implied that we’re together”.

“But, when you say together”? I questioned him and noticed he looked uncomfortable pulling me tighter to him but not looking me in the eye.

“I mean... I want you, if you want to be, to be my girlfriend”. Aw he’s so cute and I do really like him and I know it hasn’t been that long but I really care about him I’m just worried that I’m setting myself up for disaster here. “Please say something you’ve been staring a hole in to that wall for the past three minutes”.

“I’m scared of you” I told him honestly.

“Why”? Caleb asked me shocked.

“You make me feel so much and I’ve spent the last year hiding from feelings like that and I just, I’m afraid to let myself be happy again. I know it’s stupid but I can’t describe to you how hard it’s been for me since the accident, but I also care so much for you already that thinking about not being with you hurts”.