Chapter 12

For some reason we were all gathered in the kitchen so I made everyone a coffee and sat myself on the work surface, James was sat at the small wooden table with Kai in his lap, and Caleb decided after a little while of looking around that he would stand facing the room from between my legs, I didn’t mind so I wound them around his waist from behind and hugged him to me.

“So, what do you want to talk about”? I asked both boys, though only James seemed willing to voice it in front of everybody.

“That maniac is what I want to talk about Carly”! James fumed, jabbing his index finger at Caleb. 

I sighed. “Caleb is not a maniac I assure you, it’s my fault that he was so jumpy this morning” I mumbled regretfully into his hair before I kissed his head lovingly.

James shook his head as if I wasn't seeing something. “Come off it Carls I thought he was gonna do me in”!

I brushed my lips against Caleb’s ear. “Caleb. Do you have anything to say to James”?  He shivered a little bit the touch but shook himself out of it.

“No I don’t”.

“Caleb apologise”.

He turned around suddenly to face me, my legs still around his waist. “I will not apologise for being worried about you nor will I apologise for being a little uneasy about there being a guy in your house”.

“A little uneasy? A little? Are you taking the piss mate”?! James stormed again, I had no idea what really went on or what was said before I got to the house but it must of been bad for James to be this way., it still didn't stop Caleb from retaliating.

“Listen if a guy I don’t know answers my girlfriend’s door I’m not going to be held responsible for my actions”. 

“Surely Carly’s told you about me” James said incredulous.

“I’ve heard things” Caleb muttured now, intending to hurt.

James glared. “Oh charming, really”.

“Will you two stop being prats for two minutes? Listen Caleb, James is my best friend and no matter what you say or feel about the matter he is staying here and will again whenever he wants, and you James, Caleb is my boyfriend and no matter what you say or feel about the matter he is, so will the pair of you please stop bickering like children and learn to get along or you can both sling your hooks right now”!

“Sorry Carls” James mumbled guiltily.

“I’m sorry Princess”.

“Princess? Last time I saw you you’d happily knock ten bells out of anyone that called you that” James laughed.

“It has occurred to me - I’m joking”, I tagged on the end when Caleb looked offended. “Now what is it you wanted to talk about”? He just stared deeply into my eyes and I was hit by a wave of hurt and anxiety that didn’t belong to me. It was obvious he wouldn’t talk in front of James so I threw my best friend a look at which he rolled his eyes and took his cue to leave with Kai.

I watched the unlikely duo leave quietly and head up stairs where I’m sure James was unloading all his clothes into the spare room.

Before I could start speaking Caleb’s lips were pressed against mine desperately like this was the first time he’d seen me after years of being apart, I was about to kiss him back but his lips moved, placing soft yet urgent kisses to the rest of my face. I was blissfully confused but didn’t stop him, I missed him too. I hated that I’d left the way I did, scaring him and not saying goodbye; if it had been me that woke up to find no Caleb after he woke up screaming the house down... I don’t know what I’d do, so I just pulled him closer, wrapping my legs tighter around his waist.