Chapter 6

I don’t know how long it’s been since Caleb had left just that it was light then and it’s blackest night now, it’s odd really because I don’t remember watching it dim perhaps I fell asleep. I’ve been trying to define the feeling inside of me the one that seems to be muffling all the others it’s almost like my body has been pushed into some sort of emotional shock, like my heart turned it’s self off through fear of it’s own premature demise. I can’t blame it it’s been through so much already, things I didn’t expect to ever have to go through and many more that I expected time to have the decency wait for. I wish that I was stronger but wishing has never done me any favours except for the small temporary piece of hope that you feel settle on your heart and soften your eyes.

I know that Caleb was telling the truth I could feel it through every word he said to me and not even I can lie to myself that he had an ounce of dishonesty in him, although he could just be in need of medical attention maybe his mother knows and just humours him, but he doesn’t seem mad or stupid and trying to pass him off as such is cowardice and unprincipled, but I cannot forget what he told me. My parents were murdered and so was poor little Tommy, what was supposed to be a tragic accident has turned into a homicide someone had wanted to rid the world of my family, God help them when I find them because I will find them and that’s a promise.

I wanted to move or do something productive but I just couldn’t I felt so heavy and uncaring I just wanted something to happen something loud, for the lightening to come back and strike the roof and for the bricks of the house to fall on me so I could feel something through my involuntary apathy barrier.

I felt a light pressure on my arm as a small mass took home on my wrist my eyes briefly surveyed the creature, it was Kai I knew it was him knew he was coming before he left wherever it was he came from.

“Carly”?

“I know I know the cat flap I’ll do it tomorrow” my voice was toneless and cold but I couldn’t summon the strength to care.

“Actually I rather wanted to see how you are”.

“I’ll let you know when I figure that one out”.

“I told him not to I knew it wasn’t the right time” and he gave a little hiss at the memory.

“If it’s any consolation I don’t think there’s ever a right time to be told your family was murdered”.

“He told you that? For God’s sake”!

“Has it stopped raining yet”?

“Yes, it’s quite cloudy right now”.

“Like me” I laughed dryly. I stopped abruptly when my phone rang and needing to be taken out of this madness I gripped it like a drowning person would a life jacket. “Hello”?

“Carly it’s James status report please”.

“Fucking terrible” I cried.

“Oh shit what’s happened”?

“I, I don’t think I can tell you”.

“Carls you can tell me anything you know that, I’m your one in six billion... please tell me”.

“My Mum and Dad, Tommy... the fire wasn’t an accident James”.

“What? You can’t be serious? How do you know”?

“I was sent something” I lied “pictures”.

“Oh my God Carly you’ve got to tell the police”.

“There’s no point I’m going to keep it domestic I’ll find them if it’s the last thing I do”.

“No Carly absolutely not I’m putting my foot down can you hear the Italian leather hitting the floor? These people are dangerous for all you know they wanted you dead too what if they’re trying to finish the job”?