Chapter 6

The next morning, the truck was gone, no surprise there. But Austin and I were prepared. We locked all of the windows and doors. We blocked the doors with furniture and boarded up the windows, just in case. We even cleaned up the house.

We threw away the beer cans and bottles and swept up all the glass. We loaded our dad's shotgun, which he wasn't aware that we knew about. We cleaned the dishes, rooms, and clothes. We were finally stepping up.

Austin decided to take a trip to the grocery store and pick up some food while I kept an eye on Justice. She was napping, so I decided to watch some TV. I was out like a light. Then, I heard Justice groaning, "Something keeps hitting the window, Hope." I got up and peeked outside, afraid that it was Dad. It was just Austin. I moved the furniture and allowed him to come inside.

I searched the grocery bags and found chips, steak, bacon, eggs, bread, toilet paper, soap, plastic silverware, paper plates, matches, candles, chicken, popcorn, a few movies, some pillows and blankets, sugar, paper, crayons, pencils, markers, milk, orange juice, koolaid mix, and more.

"So much for a few groceries," I muttered to myself. I smiled at him and sighed. He returned the favor. "How did you afford all of this, anyway?" I asked. "I stole it," He shrugged. I gasped and he chuckled.

"Relax, I only stole half of it," he laughed. I gasped, again. "What?!" I panicked. "Calm down, I'm a pro at stealing," he chuckled, "how do you think I got all that weed?" He winked.

I sighed in relief. "So no one caught you?" I questioned. "Nope," he replied. "Good." I relaxed a little bit. It got quiet. "So, now what?" I broke the silence. "Not sure," he responded, "I'll get dinner started."