Chapter 7

So, after everything that's happened this weekend, I have to go to school tomorrow and face my classmates. Great.

I crawl into bed with Justice, who is already yawning. I let her pick out a book for me to read to her. She grabs Good Night, Moon. I open the first page and begin to read. By the third page, she was already asleep. I looked at the clock hanging on the wall. Only 8:55pm, I thought, hopping off the bed, and tiptoeing down the stairs.

Austin was already downstairs, keeping an eye, or ear, out for Dad. I smiled at him as I sat on the couch. He smiled back, then returned to staring out the window and pacing back and forth. He's finally becoming the big brother I'd hoped he'd become, but a lot more worried than I imagined.

Around 9:45pm, I heard it. I heard the tires. Austin heard it, too. Dad was home. I ran towards the window, but was stopped by Austin, who was shaking his head, telling me to stay out of Dad's view, not that it was very clear, anyways. We added our weight to the furniture already blocking the door.

As Dad approached the door clumsily, my heart began to race. It started beating out of my chest. I think Austin even heard it, because he grabbed my hand in a way that said it'll be okay. I looked at him and nodded, he winked. Dad turned the key and pushed the door, but it didn't open. He tried again. And again. And again.

After about 10 or 15 minutes of trying to get into the house -whether it was through a window or a door- he gave up. He went back to his car, and drove away. How has he never been in an accident? I thought. "I have no idea," Austin chuckled. I realized I had been thinking out loud.

We sighed, relieved that he had left. But we still kept the furniture in front of the doors, and we still kept the windows boarded up, just in case. We both relaxed and went to bed.

Dad never came back. If he did, we didn't hear him. And if he did, he was unsuccessful at getting inside. He probably went back to the bar or something, I assumed. Oh well, who cares? Time to get ready for school, I groaned at the thought. I made my bed and ate breakfast, which was bacon and eggs. Austin is so generous.

He doesn't know what I go through at school, when I told him, he was high, so he doesn't remember.

I got dressed in a black bra, neon green boy shorts, a black tank top, ripped up skinny jeans, and some old beat up converse.

I went downstairs. "You're gonna be late. Then, there won't be a point in going at all," Austin teased. "That's kinda the idea," I mumbled. "Wait, what?" Austin looked at me. "Oh, um, nothing. Gotta go, bye!" I ran out the door. "Okay?" Austin had a confused look on his face when I glanced at him on my way out. That was a close one, I thought, and sighed.