Chapter 2

Like I said, it was almost as if we were a normal family, except for the fact that beer cans and bottles took up most of the space on the counters. And the fact that glass almost covered the floors. Oh, and the marijuana plants growing behind our furniture.

But yeah, besides that, it was almost as if we were a "normal" family. Anyway, when I was done eating, I added my bowl to the pile of dishes that rose from the sink. When I was about to sit down on the couch, I realized that it reeked of beer and alcohol. So I sat down on the floor, brushing away a few pieces of broken glass, and trying my best to ignore the smell.

I turned the TV on when Spongebob Squarepants came on. All of a sudden, I heard Justice squeal, "I love this show!" And she threw her bowl on the pile, and sat on my lap. Following her was Austin. He sat his bowl on the pile, as well. Then, he went back up stairs. After a few minutes, he came back down stairs with his "stash". I just rolled my eyes, asshole.

He started smoking, but then he said, "You better get ready for school, guys." I looked at him and said, "It's Saturday." Then Justice looked at him and repeated, "Yeah, Austin! It's Satuurrrdaaaay!" And giggled. Austin stared at her for a moment and simply, almost silently said, "Shut up." Justice giggled some more, and continued watching TV.

I smiled, knowing how innocent and naive she was to the world. I wish I was still like that, I thought. We continued watching TV for a while, but eventually got bored. I glanced over at Austin and noticed how red his eyes were. Damn, he's higher than he was last night, I began to think.

But before I could finish that thought, it was interrupted by Justice whining, "I'm bored, let's watch something else!" I looked at her and sighed, "How about we go get dressed?" And I carried her upstairs.