Chapter 11

I walked home and found my brother lying on the floor unconscious. I started to panic. I glanced around and I could tell my father had been here. I panicked even more as I shouted throughout the house, "Justice! Justice, where are you? Are you okay?"

I ran up the stairs and heard whimpering.
"Justice?" I glanced around the room, nothing, no one. Then I remembered, the couch!

I looked behind the couch and found Justice sitting there, crying her eyes out. I picked her up and lifted her head. I held her face inches away from mine. "Justice, I need you to tell me exactly what happened, okay? Can you do that?" She sniffed and nodded. She looked up at me and began the story.

"Austin and I were watching TV and then we heard a car go vroom! And Austin looked out the window and told me to run upstairs and hide." I nodded, acknowledging her.

She continued after taking a deep breath. "So, I ran upstairs and hid right there," she pointed to the couch, "I heard yelling and I got scared. Then I heard a THUMP! and the door slam and another vroom! So, I ran downstairs and saw Austin on the ground and I got super scared and ran back up here."

I looked at her. "I thought Daddy was gonna come back," she whispered. "I'm okay," Austin assured us, making me jump. I sighed in relief and ran up to hug him. He groaned and I jumped back. "Sorry, my side is sore," he informed me.

I gave him a sympathetic look and decided to just hug his arm. "Why did you come home late?" He questioned. "Detention," I shrugged. "For?" He stared at me. "I was late to class," I told him. "Why?" He seemed confused.

"Well..." I wanted to change the subject, but how? "Well?" He was waiting for a response. I became quiet. "Tell me," he said in a firm voice. "Okay..." I sighed.