Chapter Six

Malorie reached Josh's apartment right at 4:50p.m. the next day. She felt confident in her tight jeans and low cut top. Hopefully Josh liked her outfit.

A huge smile automatically slipped onto her face as she knocked on the apartment door. She was excited to see her soul mate and was silently willing him to answer the door instead of Isaac.

A moment later the door was pulled open to reveal a woman that looked to be in her mid-forties. With curly brown hair, she peered at Malorie curiously through square framed glasses. There was a polite smile on her face.

Malorie faltered for a moment. She glanced at the door that the mystery woman was holding open, double checking the apartment number.

214

That was right. Maybe she got the wrong building. She didn't think so, but who was this woman?

"Um, is Josh here?" She asked uncertainly.

The woman blinked in surprise.

"Josh?" She repeated back to Malorie.

"Maybe I have the wrong apartment," Malorie offered with an apologetic smile. She took a step backwards, prepared to retreat. This seemed to snap the woman out of her current state.

"Oh! No, this is the right place. I just wasn't expecting you," she reached forward and grasped Malorie's arm before gently pulling her inside. "Joshua didn't mention that you were coming."

"Actually, Isaac was the one that invited me...."

"And yet you asked for Joshua at the door? Interesting." She released her hold on Malorie to close the door behind them.

Malorie shifted her weight uncomfortably until the woman turned back to her with a warm grin. There was something so welcoming about her. Malorie felt herself relax. For some reason, this stranger could put her at ease with just a look.

"I'm Joshua's mom, Julie," she said as she extended her hand towards Malorie.

Malorie felt her jaw drop. She was now very much aware just how much cleavage she had on display. That was not how she wanted to look when meeting this woman. She gingerly placed her hand in Julie's and blushed as they shook hands.

Oh my God, I'm going to kill Isaac.

"I'm Malorie," she mumbled with a small smile.

Julie's eyes twinkled in amusement as she released her hand. Malorie tried to discreetly pull up her shirt a little in an effort to cover some of her chest. The next thing she knew, Julie had thrown her arm around Malorie's shoulders and started to lead her into the apartment.

"Well, aren't you just georgeous," Julie said as they entered the living room. Malorie felt her blush deepen. This was getting ridiculous. She had never been so easily embarrassed. Lately it seemed that any little thing could set her cheeks ablaze.

Malorie just nodded and averted her gaze. She quickly took in her surroundings. They were in a small living room with almost no decor. The walls were even white. None of the furniture matched, but the television was huge. There were no feminine touches anywhere. It was clear that two bachelors lived here. Josh and Isaac were seated on the couch watching a rerun of Family Guy. Both their heads snapped to the women as they entered.

"Malorie?" Josh's voice showed that he was surprised to see her.

"Oops, I forgot to tell you. I invited Malorie for dinner." He gave Josh a mischevious grin and an obvious wink. "I hope that's okay, Mrs. Harris," he tacked on as an afterthought to Josh's mom.