Chapter Ten

At 5:45 that evening, Josh was sitting on his couch waiting for Malorie. Based on what he knew about her, she would probably show up early. He was riddled with uncertainty. A part of him wanted to abandon his plan before it was too late. But then what? Would he get down on his knees and beg her to choose him over the muscular blonde guy? No. He had more pride than that.

Josh ignored the little voice in his head that wanted to argue against that point. Besides, what good would it do? There was no way she would pick him.

But she kissed you back, the persistent little voice reminded him.

Well...that was true. At least he thought it was. He had been pretty drunk. Maybe his version of events was distorted by beer goggles. And he definitely remembered that she was the one to break the kiss.

Now they needed to "talk." She'd said she had something to tell him. He was sure it was about blondie. Malorie was a good person and was probably planning to let him down easy when she got here.

Well, he wasn't going to put her in that awkward position. He would simply apologize and hope she wanted to stay friends. There would be no reason for her to feel uncomfortable around him after she believed that he wasn't pining for her. Vanessa would unknowingly help with that part. It was important to him that he stay a part of her life in some way, even if she didn't love him the way he loved her. Tonight he would be taking up permanent residence in the friend zone. Oh joy.

Decision made, Josh waited apprehensively for Malorie to arrive. It wasn't long before he heard the sharp rapping of her knuckles on the wooden door.

He immediately wanted to jump to his feet and open the door. Instead he made himself sit there until she knocked again. He didn't want to appear too eager to see her, after all. This whole thing was about convincing her he wanted to just be friends. When she knocked again, he casually opened the door and kept his face neutral.

She looked great. A grey sweater-dress hugged her curves and her hair was in a thick braid down her back. He made sure not to stare as he stepped back and let her through the doorway.

"Hey, come on in," Josh said, carefully keeping his voice completely emotionless.

She stepped in and stopped incredibly close to him. It was way too tempting, so he quickly shut the door and walked into the other room. He refused to look back and see if she was following. When he reached the living room, he sat in Isaac's recliner.

He took a moment to remind himself that this was for the best. She would probably appreciate him keeping his distance anyway. It was all about making her happy. She didn't need to be worried that he would attack her lips again.

Malorie followed and perched on the edge of the couch next to the chair. She looked a little confused before she opened her mouth to speak. Josh cut in before she could start speaking.

"Listen, I just wanna say that I'm so sorry for kissing you last night. I know I shouldn't have."

Malorie's eyebrows popped until her forehead wrinkled. He wondered what she had expected him to say because she seemed surprised. Her hands twisted together in her lap as she crossed her legs.

"Uh, it's okay," she seemed to be choosing her words carefully. "The thing is--"

Josh cut her off again. He just couldn't stand to hear her reject him. He wanted to simply blow the whole thing off. Then she didn't feel a need to do so.

"No, I get it. It was just a mistake. No big deal." He had never told a bigger lie in his life; but to inforce his nonchalant attitude, he shrugged one shoulder in a careless fashion. Malorie's eyes followed the movement. It seemed she was avoiding looking into his eyes.