Chapter 3

SETH PLANNED THE connection tight. Wasting time in airports was a pet peeve, but membership in the Ambassador's club eased the pain — priority boarding, expedited passage through customs and security, and shuttles on standby. No, there was no need to dawdle at the airport.

The two hour flight from Chicago O'Hare to JFK International in New York had been right on time, leaving just enough time for a brisk stroll to the next departure gate with a brief stop to pick up a paper and a pack of spearmint gum along the way.

"This is a pre-boarding announcement for Flight 253 to Athens. All first class and business class passengers are invited to the gate. Please have your passports and boarding cards ready."

Seth approached and stood in the short line. The flight to Athens was nine and a half hours. The first class ticket cost a mint but was worth it for the luxury and space it provided, especially on long treks like this one. Besides, he could well afford it.

An attractive flight attendant instantly appeared as he settled into his plush leather sleeping recliner. "May I hang up your coat, sir?" she inquired.

"Yes thank you."

"You're welcome. I'll be right back with champagne and orange juice," she said.

"Hot towel?" asked the next attendant holding a shiny silver tray of rolled up, steaming towels.

"Please."

With gleaming silver tongs she shook out a towel and passed it to him, before moving on to the next first class passenger.

"Ahh," Seth murmured. "The only way to fly."

The trip to Athens had been on his mind for months. This year's Gathering was highly anticipated. Every five years an especially elaborate affair was organized and this was it — apparently the organizers had outdone themselves.

Seth looked forward to connecting with the greater Brotherhood. Chapters from around the world would unite. Bound by their common purpose, their kinship and comradery was affirming.

At cruising altitude, he pulled out his silver briefcase from under the seat and reviewed some paperwork, endeavoring to squeeze in some business on the side, in between his chock-full itinerary. A visit to his regular brokers was in order and he wanted to track down a couple of new leads. Always on the prowl, Seth had his fingers on the pulse of the mythical, magical and mysterious. His vigilance earned him a strong reputation in the world of Occult literature.

It was more than an occupation, it was a calling. His thirst for answers could never be slaked. The mysteries of the universe haunted him, especially lately. It was as though something had changed, or was changing. He could feel it.

And Athens, the city of the gods, was there any place on earth where he felt as connected and whole? Walking the very ground where gods once walked, breathing the same air, it was... divine.

* * *

MANDY SPUN AROUND to face the door. "Geesh Gary!" Mandy put a hand to her chest, her heart pounding. "You scared me half to death!"

Gary Whittington stepped into the store. Behind him, the sun sat low in the sky as afternoon melted away into evening.

"Hey, Mandy, I didn't mean to startle ya. Seth asked me to drop in from time to time, make sure the store hasn't burned down or anything." Gary chuckled, clearly amused by her reaction.

Gary was Seth's idiotic younger brother. According to Seth, they'd shared equally in their parents' estate, but Gary had burned through his share in record time, gambling, drinking and generally making a nuisance of himself. Seth put up with it, but loathed his brother's irresponsible lifestyle and apparent lack of couth. The two couldn't be more different.