Chapter 5: Deals (Part 2)

"My apologies, Minister, an urgent matter called for some attention."

Urin swallowed nervously as Magister Leel hobbled down the spiral staircase to greet him in the hallway of the Magistry; the official residence of wizards in Wisimir.

"That's fine," Urin said carefully. "I could come back—"

"No, not at all," Leel soothed. "If you did, then you would miss what I asked you here to see." He moved swiftly across the marble floor and skeletal fingers took Urin's arm. "Come, I wish to return some of the excellent hospitality you have shown me.

Urin's nerves got worse and he clasped his hands in front of him to stop them shaking. Aside from the fraud they'd committed together, the only hospitality he'd shown Leel in the residence was help to get him out of the building as quickly as possible. 

As they walked, Urin marvelled at the intricate carvings all around them. Wood and stone blended together to form strange whirling shapes and patterns that seemed to move and undulate as they passed by. The Magister guided him to a black oak door at the far end of the hallway. He took out a brass key and opened it, gesturing for Urin to go inside. He did so, and found himself in an opulent study, lavishly decorated in black and gold. Weighty tomes lined the walls and a human skull perched on the edge of a stone table in the centre of the room.

"My... goodness," was all Urin could manage to say.

"Indeed, I am fortunate to have such a location to concentrate upon my work," Leel said smiling, the expression predatory. "Please take a seat."

Urin did so, sinking into a comfortably soft armchair near the bookcases, but the furniture didn't have the desired effect of setting him at ease. His attention was drawn to what looked like a long floor length mirror at the end of the room, but now he was closer, he realised it wasn't a mirror at all, at least not of a type he recognised. Strange symbols adorned the frame of the glass and instead of seeing a reflection, he saw swirling grey clouds. Leel caught the look and his smile widened.

"Ah yes, I forget sometimes that you are unfamiliar with our arts. I take it you have never seen a portal glass?"

"No," Urin admitted.

"It is a way for wizards to speak with one another without the need for messages or unnecessary travel," Leel explained. "They are suitably rare and difficult to construct."

"Then you made this?"

"I did indeed, although much of the carpentry was managed by my apprentices." Leel shut the door carefully and walked over to the mirror, running his emaciated fingers along the frame. "Each rune takes a long time to learn and correctly enchant."

Urin felt confused. "Was this what you asked me here to discuss?"

"No," Leel replied, and any trace of the smile vanished. "I asked you here to meet with another guest."

Suddenly, the mirror went black. A cold feeling swept over Urin and his hands started to shake again. Something was inside the mirror, trying to get out. He shot a look at the door and started to inch his way out of the chair. "What is it?" he managed to ask.

"Calm yourself," Leel said. "Nothing that seeks to harm you."

Movement flickered in the darkness and then, to Urin's surprise a booted foot stepped out of the glass and into the room, quickly followed by another. Brown robes, a wooden staff and a jutting beard were the features he noted immediately of a strongly built man, well into his middle age, who emerged from the portal. When he was completely through, the glass brightened and the grey clouds returned.