Chapter 10: Compete (Part 1)

"Jack Key verses Fran Skeller!"

Laughter echoed around the crowded training ground in the early morning sunshine. Jack cursed as he caught a glimpse of the girl who eyed him scornfully from amongst her group of friends; Jack's former roommates.

"How come she's entered?" he whispered to Malthus.

"Why shouldn't she?"

"She's been here as long as me," Jack said. "Why would they put her up?"

Malthus shrugged. "Sometimes the officers put up a few rabbits to make them look good and size up the opposition. Likely they asked for someone who'd fight you."

Jack glanced around. General Wisell was drawing the lots out of a bag held by Colonel Osler. "Surely it's chance."

"I wouldn't count on it."

Malthus slapped him on the back. "Don't worry, gives it spice. Her lot'll bet heavy and that'll suit us, she any good?"

"Better than me."

"Yeah, but that's in a shield line, let's see how she does on her own."

The competitors could be made out by the purple sashes they'd been given to wear on their left arms. Weapons had been chosen and blunted. Jack had let the Sergeant at arms take his sword, and it'd been passed without whetstone or comment. No competitors were permitted shields, so he'd face an assortment of sabres, longswords, broadswords and an axe.

Fran had chosen to use a blade similar to the weapons they'd used in their training. Without a shield, he knew her practice would be limited.

Jack glanced back. Malthus had disappeared into a large group of veterans. Money would be changing hands. He'd thought about adding a few crowns from the box, but he didn't want to give Malthus a sniff of what might be in there.

Someone tapped him on the shoulder; the woman who'd been at the officer's table. "Key, you're over there." She pointed to the far side. He nodded and made his way over, swinging the sword, trying to get a feel for it. The whole place was divided into pens and the rest of the soldiers were filing through to watch the bouts they were interested in.

"Brought your antique did you?"

He looked up, Estorin stood in the pen next door dressed in a white shirt and leggings. His broken teeth pressed into a wide leering smile.

"Yeah," Jack replied.

Estorin nodded at Fran, who'd just appeared on the far side of the pen. "Well, she's in for a surprise then."

Jack found himself smiling as well. He thrust out a hand. "Good luck."

Estorin stared at it for a moment then shrugged and took it. "Same to you, but I'll need it more."

"Who'd you get?"

"Lieutenant Hatcher."

Jack grimaced and dipped a finger in the tar on his sword. "Sure you picked the right clothes?"

Estorin laughed. "I'm goin' t' try not to get hit."

"Fair enough."

---

Jarno woke up.

Sunlight scoured his face and his head throbbed. He rolled over, trying to bury himself away from it, but the blanket didn't seem thick enough.

"Good morning."

Long brown hair and naked female shoulders; a long scar down her back, none of which he recognised. Thankfully, she was dressed otherwise and by the door.