Chapter 15: Chance (Part 2)

Just after dawn and Jarno was surprised to find the door of the Silver Bell open, but less surprised to see a robed figure sat at the same table he'd met her at two days before.

Kathryn.

She looked up and drew back her hood as he came through the door, a faint smile on her lips. "I thought you wouldn't come."

Jarno glanced around, the rest of the commons room was deserted, even the bar abandoned. "I almost didn't," he replied. "Not after last night."

Kathryn raised an eyebrow and her smile vanished. "I don't follow."

"You know exactly what I mean." Jarno stayed near the door, his hand on the hilt of his sword. "You sent the assassin last night."

Her expression became stern. "Then if you believe that, perhaps your decision to come here was a mistake."

"Am I wrong?" he challenged.

Kathryn sighed. "I did not cast a spell last night."

Jarno's hand went back to his belt. "Then what happened?"

"I assisted the Magister in casting a spell," Kathryn said, standing up and glaring at him.

"To murder a girl," Jarno said.

"To execute a condemned criminal who was being hidden by the criminal underworld in the Southside," Kathryn countered.

"You had no intention of helping me at all," Jarno said. "You were just trying to get in the way."

"Actually you're wrong," Kathryn replied. "I had and still have every intention of helping you track down Jack Von Drey, but you need to step back and assess your priorities."

"So where are you keeping him?"

"We don't have Von Drey."

"How do I know you're telling the truth?"

"You don't." Kathryn sighed again. "This city exists in careful balance; the rule of law backed by the vested interests of those with power. The document you carry is an example of that power, but don't mistake it for armour, as it will let you down when you stop being useful."

She held his eye and once again Jarno saw a trace of fear in hers. "I don't understand you," he said. "If your Master stole that money, then he broke the laws of the city. It's my job to arrest him."

"You know the Edict, don't you Watchman," Kathryn said. "The law that demands I restrain my skills in the city on pain of death. A law only waved aside when the Lady Governor wishes it so?" her words were bitter, despite her calm demeanour, "a law, written by the powerless and ignorant to shackle their betters."

"But still a law."

"A law I broke the last time you were here," Kathryn continued. "You remember your cup of water? You let it go then and that told me something about you. Your motive isn't to enforce the law, admit it." She walked towards him until her face was only inches away. "Hubris will not bring back your family."

"What do you know about my family?" Jarno hissed seizing her wrist. She didn't flinch but placed her other hand over his. Her fingers were scalding hot and he gasped, trying to snatch his hand back, but she held him fast.

"I know enough to know what drives you. Final warning; back away from the Magister, concentrate on finding Von Drey."

"Bitch!" he snarled. "You're frightened, admit it! Frightened of what I might find out!"

Kathryn smiled again and released his hand. Red welts covered the skin around the knuckles. "We must all be what we need to be, until we find a chance to be what we want to be."