Chapter 8

Mylene looked at the bean, she had been lost in it's orange glaze all night. She had completely forgotten about straying from the tree or being trapped. It seemed that all that mattered now was this bean. The night was cold and the only sound in the air was the wind winding through the leaves of the trees. Her stomach began to growl and her mouth was dry and sticky. She walked on, unsure of where she was headed. She suddenly stopped. She could hear a faint sound of water in the distance. Suddenly she hit a burst of energy, dashing towards the sound of the water.

It got louder...

and louder...

and louder...

By now the sound was so loud she could almost taste the water. Mylene pushed through bushes suddenly falling onto the river bank. She looked up at the water, rushing over the rocks. Her legs slowly lifted up as she reached in her bag for something to drink from. She pulled out a flask and looked at it. It had the marking of the sister house on it. She knelt down to the edge of the water and started drinking. The water was tinged brown almost like tea. She opened the flask and put it into the water. The scales on the flask glistened in the water. It sent out purple sparkles in the water. The flask let out the last air bubble as it filled up. Mylene took it out of the water and screwed the cap on. She felt so much better. Suddenly there was a piercing screeching sound from the sky. Mylene looked up at the treetops. She could make out a few small dark shadows soaring and flapping through the sky. Suddenly there were hundreds scattered all over the sky. Mylene put the palms of her hands to her ears. The screeching was unbearable. The sound soon died down and Mylene was left in the silence of the Jungle.

It was cold and Mylene didn't have much to warm her. She lay down on the sand of the river bank and gazed up at the sky. Out here the stars were so bright. Before the sister house, Mylene would always look up at the stars through the skylight in the slave room. What she found strange about this place is that the stars here looked so very different. She could not recognize a single constellation. Though that was the least of her worries she'd still found it interesting. Her eyelids became weighted.

Her eyes slowly closed...

And her mind started wondering...

Mylene woke up, she felt considerably warmer and well rested. A large beam of light had come through the treetops directly hitting her. She got up and stretched. Sounds were all around her now. Strange yet peaceful sounds. She sat back down.

A while passed as she sat. She seemed to lose track of time sitting there on the bank.

She eventually got up, lifted her bag around her shoulder and turned around, away from the river.

As her eyes shifted, there was a door...

There was a door...

There was a door right in front of her. A door perfectly placed on the sand. A door beautifully designed with vine like patterns spreading over it.

She carefully walked towards the door. She placed her hand on the frame of the door and looked behind it. There was nothing behind it. Mylene moved in front of it and reached for the handle. She pulled down the handle and the door swung open. It lead into a hallway. Mylene stared in shock. She moved around to the back of the door once again. There was still nothing behind it. She moved back to the front, she stared at it in confusion. The hallway seemed to be quiet for a little while but then sounds started slipping out of the door.

Mylene waited a while and eventually decided to step in...