Chapter 2

Far above BlewBurrow, far above the clouds, far above space itself lay a bean. Floating in the abyss.

This bean had been floating in the cold vast emptiness of space for quite some time. One could not imagine what it'd be, being in space for thousands of years. But one does not need to imagine... This was a bean, and a bean is not alive... not yet anyway!

  ✺  

Mylene was given a bunk on the third level along with all the crew. Each bunk was held up on the support beams by a single rope nailed into the pole. The ship itself consisted of 4 levels. The first level, being the surface. The second level had the light cargo such as livestock, food and cotton. The third level held 1/4 of bunk space, the rest of the level held heavier cargo such as leather, mapledust and weaponry. The fourth level had the heaviest, holding gold, copper and iron bars.

Mylene had enjoyed being on the Philosopher for these days. During the day she'd watch the sailors keeping the ship skyworthy, she'd even help occasionally. During the night she'd listen to their stories after they had a bit too much ale. Although she had enjoyed her 6 days aboard the ship she was ready to venture into the unknown. The Philosopher would be arriving at the floating city in the next couple of days. 

                                                                                         *

Mylene woke to a screeching sound and a voice.

'Man Ho!'

Mylene stumbled out of her bunk and rushed upstairs.

Everyone was gathered on the top level looking out infront of the ship. Mylene went to the side of the ship and leaned over the railing looking ahead. All she could see was fog, then suddenly a building appeared out of the fog. Mylene squinted her eyes as she gazed into the fog. Suddenly another building appeared, and another. It was not long until a whole city was in sight.

'Captain which port shall we dock at?'

'Go to the North East port. We'll offload there!'

The Philosopher's shadow moved over the city so elegantly. The wood creaked under Mylenes feet and she could feel the vessel descending. The ship started slowing down and was now at the level of the rooftops. She looked down at all the busy streets below. 

'Bring 'er to a halt and lower the docking ropes!'

  ✺