Missing

After swimming for a while more George and Jessica get out and rejoin everyone at the pavilion. They have conversations here and there with the party goers. When the sun starts going down they go for another walk through the woods towards Kona. The sandy path is lined with keawe trees and naupaka. George climbs over a fallen palm tree that blocks the path and holds his hand out to help Jessica over it. They reach a secluded beach almost at sunset. They walk the yellow sand for a little while and sit down to watch the Hawaiian sunset. "Do you still live in your grandparents old house?" He asks Jessica 

"Yes leaving me the house was the best thing that they have ever done for me. But I still don't like staying there. I'm actually planning on staying with Brad and Tiana tonight." 

"I still feel bad that I wasn't here when your Grandma passed. You should stay with me or we can both stay at your house I will sleep on the couch." 

"you don't need to feel bad you were deployed at the time. there was nothing you could have done anyway. Staying with you sounds like fun but let's decide that later." Jessica says.  

The sun slowly makes it's way down on the horizon. The sky a brilliant array of reds and oranges. Jessica leans over and puts her head on George's shoulder. He debates grabbing her hand but chooses to lean his head on top of hers to enjoy the sunset as it disappears. "I really did miss you." George says quietly. 

"I know you told me already. I hated you for leaving me. You were the only one that ever made me feel normal and you just left like my mom did." Jessica says pulling away from him. "You should have stayed." 

"I did what I thought I needed to do. I wished you could have come with me." George tries to comfort her but he knows that he broke a promise to her no matter how he rationalizes it. "We should head back soon they should be starting to clean up." 

They walk the beach reminiscing about high school for a short time then make their way back to the main beach and back to the pavilion where the party seems to be coming to an end and people have already left or are leaving. After the pavilion is empty and cleaned everything packed Haley and Don leave.  

"Are you riding with us?" Elizabeth asks George. 

George looks at Jessica "No he's going to ride with me." Jessica says answering for him. 

They all get into their vehicles and drive up the road to Honoka'a. On the way to Honoka'a they stop in Waimea town to get something to drink then continue on to Honoka'a.  

They make their way to Jessica's house. When they get to her house Jessica parks in front of the house and they go inside. After a couple more hours of talking Jessica decides to go to sleep. George falls asleep on the couch in her living room.  

George looks around and sees her standing there on stage. Her long silk dress flowing down to the stage. The straps lay on her shoulders showing off her shoulders and the top of her chest. Her hair is straightened and shines under the spotlight. The crowd around him starts screaming and cheering as she grabs the microphone. Jessica turns her head to her band and the drums start playing a slow ballad. She looks at George her hazel eyes lock on his and she winks at him. She puts a big smile on her face "Baby this is for you." The piano and bass join in and she starts to sing. Her voice is soft as she sings a love song to him. The crowd sways back and forth in time with the music. The lights dim and a fog rolls across the stage. after a few lines she points at him and tells him to come up in stage. George climbs onto the stage and she starts singing to him. Their eyes locked on each other as she continues to sing. When the song is over she leans in to kiss him. 

George is suddenly standing on smooth stones looking out over sharks bay as 20 Canoes approach with men holding spears. Warriors around him are chanting as a tall figure stands in the middle holding his spear high into the air. He looks down and sees 50 men running in the direction of the canoes. He looks to one side and sees a wooden structure that resembles a tower with a man yelling and pointing out over the water. He peers out in the direction that the man is pointing and sees another group of canoes approaching hundreds of yards behind the first.