Coming Home

Chapter 8

Once she's back in the small bleak cell, Julia painfully crawls to the far corner hoping she'd be able to get some rest She figured she's going to need all the strength she can get if she's going to try to escape tonight.

A short Latina women named Maria brought her in some food and water at some point during the day. Although she wasn't very hungry, the cold water felt good on her parched throat. As she's gulping down the last of the cool liquid she finds out Maria was also being held against her will. That she'd tried to escape on several occasions but they'd always managed to find her. 

"The last time I tried to escape the three men nearly beat me to death so I don't try anymore."

I'm not giving up like you did Maria she thinks. Hearin keys rattling outside the room she quickly sits up. Glancing towards the small opening above her she realized it was already nightfall.

"I hope I'm ready for this," she thinks, wiping the sleep out of her swollen eyes

"It's time to take our little trip now," one of the men announces. Picking her up, he  slings her over his shoulder.

"Can I go to the bathroom before we go?"

"There will be plenty of places for you to relieve yourself where we're going," he laughs.

"I I I don't think I can hold it much longer," she stutters.

"Oh alright, but make it quick. Marty, go with her, make sure she doesn't try to escape."

"Me, but she's a woman."

"Fine, go get Maria and make it quick," He says, plopping her back down on the floor he starts to untie her feet

"If you even attempt to run I'll shoot, understand!" He warns as he finishes  untying the knots.

"Yes, yes I understand. I won't try to escape, I promise," she stutters.

"Within a few minutes, she sees Maria walking towards them."

"Go into the bathroom with her and make sure she doesn't try to leave." Dick orders. Nervously shaking her head, Maria leads her down the hallway.

"Make it quick girls!" He orders as the door closes behind them.

***

The four boys sat quietly in the corner of a speakeasy watching straggly looking men wandered in and out of the business. Al said he wanted to get a group together to search for the missing woman but by the looks of the traffic,  Ty figures he had half of  the town involved.

"What are you doing, Ty?" Brian asks watching him point to a few of the men.

"I was seeing if I could recognize them."

"Recognize them?"

"They're all famous criminals."

"All of them?" I think so. There's Baby Face Nelson standing alongside Al and the gentleman sitting next to him is Pretty Boy Floyd. They were both notorious bank robbers. John Dillinger and Johnny Torino are sitting next to them."

"I thought John Dillinger was Al's biggest rival?"

"I did too. Maybe they started out as friends something happened and they become enemies."

"Could be or they could be putting their differences aside to fight a bigger rival."

"That's possible too." Ty says as he continued watching  the two supposed enemies chatting away like they're best friends.