Is Terry Really Coming Back?

At the office a few weeks later Steve and Janet stood talking in the copy room. The fragrance of Janet’s perfume lingered in the air playing with Steve’s nose as he struggled to hear what she said.

“Finance…Documents…Papers.” Was all he could make out as he couldn’t help but recognize how her lips formed the words. Mentally he replayed her saying “Finance…” over and over not because the word was particularly important, but he liked how her full bottom lip connected with her perfect teeth to make that “F” sound. 

“Steve? Steve, Are you listening to me?” Janet’s raised voice shook him out of his self imposed stupor.

“Oh, uh…Of course I know what you said.”

“What did I say?”

Steve smiled, “You said something about finance.”

She looked at him, “snap out of it, Vanderholt is coming tomorrow and we have to get this done, and I don’t want to be here, I have a date and you know how hard it was…” she continued talking but Steve shut off again.

The words shook Steve to the core. She had a date. “What?” It surprised him. It had been a few weeks since the breakup with Terry and now it appears that she is ready to get back in the saddle again. 

“So you have a date.” Steve interrupted.

Janet laughed. “Yes, this time at the Kitchen, I won’t have to interrupt you and your date…what was her name?”

“Oh, it wasn’t that much of an interruption…I enjoyed it.” Steve said before he could think. “I mean, I love, er um, I like to see you guys whenever I can…” He stood there realizing how weird he sounded. 

Janet looked at him with a curious look, “OK…” She said.

“So when is your date?” Steve asked. 

“I know I crashed your date, but I hope you ain’t planning to return the favor.” Janet smiled while putting her hand on her hip. 

“No, we just need to…” Steve stopped himself. 

“If I didn’t know any better, I would think that you are a bit jealous. Surely you have plenty of women chasing for your time.”

“Of course, no I mean, I ain’t jealous, what would make you say that, come on lets get back on the subject, what did you say about Vanderholt?”

“You the one brought up my date. Just make sure that you don’t show up messing this up. This guy really looks promising.”

Steve smiled, “mess you up…naw that’s what you females do always messing up a brotha’s game.” Steve said in an attempt at ebonics.

Janet laughed while Michael walked into the room. “Are you guys gonna get out of the way or are you going to monopolize the copy machine forever. GEEZ.” Michael said. “What are you laughing about anyway?”

“It looks like Janet here is about to head out on another date.” Steve said.

“Yeah I know Laura told me. I hope he better than that last bum you was with. What’s his name? Terry…girl’s name anyway, probably on the down low.” Michael said.

“Hold on…he was my fiance’ and we have a lot of past.”

“Yeah will it was good you got him to steppin…you deserve much better than that asshole.” Michael continued.

Steve looked on as Janet seemed to look a little less jovial.

“Well, you are gonna find out soon enough, I am going out with Terry.”

“What…” Steve and Michael yelled in unison.

“I am just going to hear what he has to say, I owe him that much.”

“What he has to say? I can tell you what he needs to say, ‘I’m an ass who cheated on the girl that I no longer deserve.’” Steve said.

“I thank you for caring, but it really ain’t none of your business.” Janet said sharply. And Mike, this is why I didn’t tell Laura’s big mouth about it, because you would be in here talking a bunch of mess.”

“We just care…” Micheal began to say when Janet cut him off.

“Thank you, but please just mind your own business and leave me alone. I love him and I can’t just turn it off. I want to hear what he is going to say.” She then looked at Steve and said, “And like I said Steve, I don’t expect to see you there causing any issues.” She then walked out the room.

“What the hell?” Steve said to Michael. 

“My sentiments exactly.” Michael said.

“Yeah, she want us out of her business, but you know what, she is bout to do something really stupid, we need to do something about this.” Steve said.

“Woooah….woah….hold on, she is bout to do something stupid, but she is right, it is none of our business.” Michael said.

“How can you say that, you act like we ain’t friends. Naw, it ain’t gonna go down like this.” 

“Man, I been meaning to tell you, it really looks like you are interested in Janet to me.”

“What are you talking about…naw this is about friendship Dog…”

Michael raised his hand and yelled, “Let me finish…Let me finish…”

“Go head.”

Michael brought his voice down to a whisper and said, “You and I both know that you like the girl. Stevie Wonder could see that you done fell for the girl. Now if I’m wrong, OK…but if not, you better make your move soon.”

“What is it with you interracial couples…yall think everyone wants to get their swirl on.” Steve joked.

“Ok, I’m just saying.”

“Whatever man, I got a date coming up…Blonde hair blue eyes, none of that sista girl stuff. I’m just looking out for a friend.” 

Michael looked at him in his eyes and then shook his head. He then said, “Whatever…” and walked out of the copy room.