Janet's New Boss

The next day at work Ashley walked up to Janet’s cubical and said, “Hey Janet, do you have a moment, I want to speak to you.”

Janet walked quickly by Steve’s office’s open door trying not to look. She couldn’t help herself and looked. Steve was not in there.

They got into Ashley’s office and both Michael, Steve, and Tina were seated in there. Ashley shut the door.

“Dr. Stevens wanted me to talk to you about changing your mind and staying with the company.” Ashley began.

“It is our understanding that you have put in a two weeks notice, is there anything we can do to change your mind?” Tina said.

“I don’t think so, it has come to my attention that some of the people I work with have not been above board with me.” Janet said while looking straight at Michael attempting to not look at Steve, but the tension in the room told everyone that Steve was who she was talking about.

“Let’s cut the crap. You want to leave Steve’s team, OK, I need someone with your talents on my team.” Tina said.

“For that matter, I could use you and I am sure that Ashley could use you as well.” Michael said. Ashley shook her head in agreement.

“I don’t know why…” Steve began to talk.

“Michael raised his hand and said, “Steve, please, I didn’t even want you in here.” Michael said angrily.

“Come on, you know I didn’t do anything wrong…” Steve said.

“Didn’t do anything wrong? What the hell are you talking about Steve?” Janet said.

“Stop it. Stop it!” Ashley said. 

“OK, here is the deal, I have a position on my team right now. I promise you won’t have to work with Steve, I’ll personally work with him if I have to to keep you from any interaction. You are too important to this company to just leave, and let’s be honest, with this job market, you probably ain’t got a job lined up anyway…” Tina said.

“What about Penny, I think I might have some difficulty working with her.”

“What the hell? If you can’t work with anybody on the team, then why stay on?” Michael said.

“Penny is working directly with Dr. Stevens now and is no longer a part of my team.” Tina said while ignoring Michael.

Janet looked over at Ashley.

“Well, I can give you a job, but I doubt you want to work in human resources.” Ashley said.

Janet looked at Michael.

“Yeah, well, I can give you a job, but I ain’t gonna pussyfoot around Steve, you will act like a professional and do your damn job like everybody else here. This ain’t high school!” Michael said.

Janet stood up and shook Tina’s hand. “It looks like you have a deal. I will start immediately.”

Tina smiled and said, “OK, let’s go to my office and talk about your new job. She walked out of Ashley’s office to go towards Tina’s office.

****

When Janet and Tina walked out of the Ashley’s office Michael walked up to the door and shut it. Micheal started yelling, “See this is the mess we have to deal with. You have been messing up as far as Tina is concerned from the beginning.”

“I ain’t done a damn thing man.”

“This is the second time I have had to clean this stuff up. I told you she didn’t want you, but you kept on pushing it, now we ain’t getting no work done because of your mess. Relationships at work are hard and…”