IX (Christine)

Christine was beyond thrilled. There was a bounce in her step as she walked in silent glee down the street with Madame Giry.

Beside her, the Madame was deep in thought, leaving her to herself and to share in her own delight. But in one moment, when they were halfway to the opera-house, she suddenly felt a sinking feeling in her stomach; she was unsure of what the woman's silence meant, and was nervous that it was a sign of disapproval, so she felt that she had to ask, "Do you approve of him, Madame?"

"Although I believe he's asking too much of you, I can foresee that he will be a great tutor to you."

"Why do you say so?"

"It's simply my opinion that a tutor should not have a student begin working on sophisticated pieces until she has mastered pitch, tone, and every note. But I trust that he's an expert at his trade; he certainly sounds to be one."

"I respect your opinion, Madame."

"Thank you."

More silence followed, and this time, it endured until they reached the opera-house, which is where they'd agreed to part.

"Goodnight, Madame Giry." Christine stopped and said upon reaching the steps.

"Goodnight."

Madame Giry crossed the street and went west, while Christine stood there at the base of the opera-house and watched her fade into the night. When she could see no more of the woman, she found it acceptable to move forward.

As she strolled underneath streetlamps and past buildings, she pondered what Madame Giry had said to her about her tutor's way of teaching. All at once, she realized- yes, her tutor is, in fact, using unconventional methods to teach her, isn't he? It is abnormal for a tutor to jump into sophisticated pieces with an inexperienced vocalist who doesn't even feel comfortable reading music. Then, it occurred to her that her tutor's unconventionality may mean that he has specific motive for it. It can't just be pure coincidence that a tutor's method in teaching involves putting all that is conventional aside to teach a young woman the song that she's been longing to sing.

She came to a sudden halt.

What if he's watching her?

No, that's silly. She's probably just letting her uneasiness get the best of her, she reasoned. It was late at night, and she was all alone on the street, so of course, she'd be unsettled by anything.

She ignored her anxiety and continued onward.

At one point, not much longer after she had forced herself to clear her mind, she walked over a manhole, and had to backtrack, for she thought she heard something.

She stood over it, looking down and turning her ear towards it.

She was right- she had heard something. As she listened, she heard the distant echo of an organ.

The music frightened her- it was dark and it was fierce. She didn't know where it was coming from. It froze her in place; it held her captive.

Soon, she found herself on her hands and knees, pressing her ear to the manhole.

"Ma'am, ma'am, are you alright?" The sound of feet slapping against the cobblestone alarmed her, making her heart jump and eyes widen, and she quickly picked herself up.

A man reached her. He was an officer.

"Is there anything wrong? Are you hurt?"

"No, sir, nothing's wrong. I... I just tripped."