X (Phantom)

Satisfaction filled his step. It put a smirk on his face and a fire in his blue irises. He flung the doors to the theatre open and strode out, glided down the steps, and, upon setting foot on the cobblestone, began to haste down the street.

A figure appeared from the distance. It got larger and larger as it approached.

He was about to pass it when it unexpectedly said, "Sir, you don't recognize me?"

Somewhat annoyed and impatient, he turned around to look at the speaker. She had turned around as well, and was now standing stiffly, facing him.

"Madame Giry. I apologize. I couldn't recognize your face in the darkness." He forced an amiable smile upon his face.

"You're forgiven. May I ask what you're doing on the street at this late hour?"

"I was giving Christine a lesson. We ended early." He wasn't in the mood for idle chatter. He was eager to get back to his music. And, above his eagerness, he had a sure awareness that Madame Giry had a hidden motive for encountering him.

"Are you not afraid of the Phantom? Do you not know what has happened?"

"I am well aware."

"Are you afraid?"

"No, Madame, I am not. He only targets theatres, not streets, so I have no need to be afraid."

"But wouldn't you call that risky, sir?"

"No."

"If you claim to not be putting your own life at risk, then, wouldn't you say that you've put young, vulnerable Christine's life at risk by calling her here at this hour?"

"No. She's a responsible young woman."

"You would say so?"

"Yes."

"Well, then." She paused. "Are you aware that Christine and Meg were not allowed to leave the theatre tonight?"

"No."

"They came to you. Didn't they tell you anything?"

"No. They didn't have to."

"You do understand that they will be punished for disobeying orders, don't you?"

"Yes, I do. I apologize on their behalf."

"You need not." She paused again before speaking up once more. "It was a pleasure running into you. Alas, I must hurry on now; I have a letter to deliver. Goodnight, Monsieur."

"Goodnight, Madame."

She gave a slight bow, then turned back around and went on her way.

He didn't wait another second before taking off. He wasn't flustered. Rather, he was relieved of a burden.

Yes, she's surely suspicious of the tutor, he thought to himself. She surely suspects that the tutor is him, the Phantom of the Opera. But that didn't matter to him at this point, for he just achieved what he had wanted to achieve with his visage. He had nothing to risk anymore, nothing to hide anymore. All he need do now is to wait until the start of the week before the premier of Hannibal.

He flew down the streets on swift feet, as if he was a shadow. He came to his manhole and, in one movement, uncovered the hole and descended into it, vanishing from the streets.

~