XI (Christine)

November 1, 1880

Christine sat in front of her vanity, staring at her reflection, internalizing herself.

Her voice, her soul was improving. Now, in this moment, she felt it more than ever before: the Angel of Music was inside of her. She had found the Angel of Music- no, the Angel of Music had found her. Her father had been right all along when he had said that there was an Angel of Music, and she was eager to tell him of her revelation.

~

The close of the second week before the premier of Hannibal brought Christine to the grave of her father, just an hour before she was to return to the opera-house for her lesson with her tutor. The cemetery was silent and still, as if it was frozen in time, save for the blowing wind. Fall leaves covered the ground, rustled about by the breeze. They cracked underneath her feet as she bent down at the base of her father's gravestone.

"Father, you'll never believe it", she tried to whisper, but her voice came out as a giggle, unable to contain itself. "All this time I've been uncertain, but now I'm sure of it: the Angel of Music is inside of me. I can sing. Listen."

She swallowed, and then opened her mouth to sing. "Think of Me" flowed past her lips, penetrating the still, silent air around her. The wind began to blow, as if it was moving, dancing, swaying to her music.

The last high notes came out naturally, like ibexes gracefully jumping up and down the side of a mountain. They left her, and all was silent again.

The silence was broken all at once. "Brava, Brava, Bravissima", a voice behind her sang.

She turned around immediately, startled. When she found that the words had belonged to her tutor, she greeted him stiffly, heart still beating from the surprise.

"Hello, sir."

"Hello, Christine. What brings you here?"

"I'm visiting my father's grave."

"Ah, you are an Angel. Beautiful."

A pause followed his peculiar remark. Christine shifted in her place.

He spoke up again soon after, and when he did, he spoke in a booming voice. "I have something I must tell you. I have made my final decision- you will see this face around no longer."

Christine was confused. "Oh, but the opera's in a week from now. What will- "

"You will not ask any questions."

"But, sir," she tried to plead.

"Obey your teacher."

She wanted to ask, "Have I displeased you?" but having been cut off, she allowed an awkward silence to fill their exchange. As the silence ensued, though, she found that being alone with her tutor in front of her father's grave, this personal place, made her feel uncomfortable. Although it wasn't like her to be rude and lie, she couldn't stand the feeling that this moment was giving her.

"Pardon me, but I must go now. There's something I must attend to. I have done what I had meant to do here, anyhow." She gathered up her dress and stood up.

His voice became softer once again. "I understand. Please, do not let me hinder you. Goodnight to you."

"Goodnight to you as well." With that, she quickly took her leave, her mind somewhat flustered from the tension of what had just gone on between her and her tutor.

Once Christine had disappeared from view and left the cemetery, the man leaning against the tree was no longer her tutor; in his place was instead the Phantom.

He adjusted his cape. "I'm going to change out my mask, for I've grown tired of this 'tutor'; I'll be wearing my real face from here on out. You won't recognize your tutor, I'm certain, so this might as well be the last time you'll ever see him. I've done my part for now; the first stage of my intentions has been completed. You've become quite the vocalist. I have confidence in you- so, for now, I'll be leaving you to yourself."

~