Chapter XXIII

(Lastrance/Julius' POV)

I found this journal, V has her entire life up until her death written in it. I can't believe she's gone... I am Julius, she named me Lastrance when we first met. I am going to write in here just so her story doesn't seem unfinished. I know I shouldn't have but I read this....I know exactly what has happened...It seems that on some events Jay and myself have sent her our exact thoughts and she has put them in here...Well here goes nothing.

In human form I am Julius but... I suppose you know that if you have been reading this... A week ago we won the war against Crastor because V switched the attachment of her soul and mine to Crastor so when he shot that bolt of lightning through her heart he died right along with her. I watched as the love of my life fell lifeless to the ground. I watched as her body disappeared, today Jay, Zena, Fratren, Morthren, and I are going to her old home to pack her things away. The people of the kingdom are very grateful to her, they are even building a shrine to her. In a week they are going to pick a new ruler.

I stand in the road looking towards the house. The house looks so peaceful, after her body disappeared so did Zachariah's. Morthren was frantically looking for him when we got back, "Do you think she would mind us going in there?"

Zena has been worrying about if it's okay to move her things, I don't think she wants to believe that V is gone....I don't think any of us do. As we get closer to the house we can hear a baby crying inside. We all rush in without a word, what if the baby was left here to die? As we enter the house I stop dead in my tracks as I hear a familiar voice singing a familiar song. Fratren stop and so do the others, "What is it?"

"That voice...the song I know it.." I run up the stairs hoping I'll find what I think it is. I get up the stairs and stop dead in my tracks. The other do the same as they reach where I am.

"Hush dear." The woman in front of us is bouncing a baby in her arms and singing softly. The baby soon stops crying and giggles while looking at her. Her hair hides her face but I am certain I know who it is.

"V?" At hearing Morthren's voice she turns to us with a smile, "How?"

"It seems the fates had a different idea than I." I look at the baby to find that it is Zachariah.

Fratren slowly approaches her as if hoping this isn't a dream, that his daughter is really standing in front of him. "V, we thought you were dead..."

"I was for a time but then the Fates sent Zachariah and myself here." Being mindful of the baby in her arms Fratren hugs her tight. She puts an arms around him, I can see tears fall from his eyes. I guess losing her took it's toll, "I thought you were gone." The pain of losing her must have been enormous. She is his only daughter and he just got her back.

I can't imagine what it would be like to lose your only child. She pulls away from the hug, "I thought Zachariah couldn't make noise." Zena pipes up as Zachariah begins cooing at V, "The Fates helped me fix that for him."

"That was kind." She smiles and nods her head.

Jay walks over to her and kisses her cheek, "I'm so glad you are alright. When I heard that you had died I died a little myself." Why does he always have to use his speech to capture her affections. Can't she see all he wants is her to bare his kid but I want to show her that she is loved and I will never hurt her.

'I missed you so much, V. Iwas was mortified when I saw you fall lifeless to the ground.'

'You saw me die?!?!'

'Yes...'

"I thought I told you to stay out of the palace!"

"You did..."

I duck my head, I don't like upsetting her. "And you went against my request?"

"I'm sorry, V"

She moves away from Jay, I haven't seen her move away from him to come towards me since he first got here . He stole her affections from me.She slowly walks towards me. Once she reaches Morthren he takes Zachariah away from her and she continues to approach me.She places a gentle hand on my cheek, her hand is soft and cold. Her smile, though small, is warming. "You should have listened." She is right, "You wouldn't have seen that." I nod slowly but I can't take my eyes off of her. She slowly moves closer, "Of all people I didn't want you to see that." She closes the distance between us until our lips meet. My eyes widen in surprise before slowly closing as I begin to kiss her back. I have wanted to kiss her for so long, I have wanted her affections for so long. I can feel her pouring her love into the kiss, the love I've wanted so much, the love I feared Jay had. After what seems like an eternity we part and she simply looks into my eyes.

"What the hell was that?!?!" Destroying the moment Jay yells, anger lacing his voice, "I thought you loved me but you kiss him like that?"

"You see, you always kissed me, I never pulled away because I did enjoy the kiss I just don't feel like that for you." So she never actually wanted Jay, that makes me feel so much better.

"So you will not be marrying Jay?"

"No, I'm sorry father."

He smiles and she bows her head, "Never apologize for what your heart feels." Smiling she takes Zachariah from Morthren and stands beside me.

***Years Later***

V has been chosen to lead both the humans and the elves. She has been raising Zachariah and he has turned into a fine gentleman. Just recently she and I wed but Zachariah does not see me as a father, just a friend. V has filled both roles for him and we have combined the two kingdoms, there has been peace and any time there is even a slight spat she steps in and solves it. I am so happy she loves me and has accepted me as her husband and king but that is only a title, her love means so much more to me. Hopefully the peace will last for a very very long time.

The End

P.S. V never found her journal, I've kept it all these years and I'll give it to her on our 20th anniversary. Goodbye, I hope she will like reading this again.