Chapter 3

It was now lunch time and as I did everyday...I began to walk to find my friend.
"Rachel.wait up" I called
She turned around and greeted me. We started to walk to lunch together.  We sat down at our table and began talking.
" he's so hot." She said out of nowhere.
"Who?" I said looking over at the direction she was looking in.
"Sam. No." I said "trust me he is not what he seems. Yeah he may be hot. But he acts like a jerk.
"Yeah but I can't imagine. If I went through what he went through then I'd be just as much of a jerk as he is" she said.

"What did he go through?" I said clearly confused about everything.

"You haven't heard?" Said Rachel.

"No" I said in a duh tone.

"Well apparently him and his dad and his older brother were ice fishing and then Sam challenged his brother to a race and the ice broke and his brother fell in. His dad kneeled down to try to help him back up and ended up also falling in. Sam was the only one that didn't fall in. And now it's only his mom and him.

" when did this happen?" I asked

"I think it was about a year ago" said Rachel

Many thoughts rushed through my head. I lost my father due to cancer two years ago but I still got to say goodbye.

By the time I cleared my head if was the end of the day and I was on my way home from school.

All this talk about death at school really got me missing my dad. My mom would always go to put flowers by his grave but I never understood the point. I mean it's not like they would care if h made the place that they are laying dead, look nice. But today I felt the need to visit him.
I rushed out of my room and stopped at the store to pick up flowers.

When I got to the cemetery I put the flowers in his grave and sat down next to them. I looked around to see how many graves there where. It surprised me how many. I closed my eyes and talked to my dad. Soon, I was interrupted by loud sniffles. I looked around to see a boy faced the other way. I tried to see the name on the grave and from my view, it said, "ADAM BLACK." It took me a while to realize that it was Sam crying. I wanted to give him some space so I just continued talking to my dad.
"Someone died that you loved too?" Said a familiar voice.
"My dad" I said quietly.

"I'm sorry" he said.

"Yeah I've heard a lot of that lately" I said.
"But in sorry for you too" I said.

"I've heard that often lately." He said.

By this time Sam was sitting at my fathers grave right next to me.
"It's not your fault you know?" I said breaking the silence.

"Yeah it is" he said looking at his hands in his lap.

"No it's not" I said looking straight at him giving him a reassuring smile.
I wasn't used to seeing this side of Sam but then the old Sam came back.

"Your dad may have died but at least you don't have to live with the guilt of doing it." He spat.

"It's still sad to have my dad die" I said.

By this time tears were forming in my eyes. A tear ran down the side of my face.

"Maggie I'm sorry..." He began.

"I have to go" I said.

With that I left and I was now on my way home.